Lummox is a sick, sick man.
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:
Can't tell if joking or a special case of AUMNLS lol

Considering I was four when Wiles released his proof, his proof made massive advances in the field of elliptic curves, and he is distention well-versed in algebraic geometry when I barely even understand the field... I wouldn't put too much thinking I was serious.
Lummox JR wrote:
For another challenge, I'm looking at creating a true Mac port for the entire suite, including Dream Seeker. Of course this isn't without its share of difficulties, but the webclient has actually shown me a path forward that wasn't possible before. On the other hand, I don't own a Mac yet, but that's nothing a kidney won't pay for. Luckily, there are tools that should make this transition a lot easier than it was when the idea of a Mac port first came up. So Mac users, rejoice!

I would actually do this pro bono. I'd love to see the suite available to Windows/Linux/Mac.
I would actually do this pro bono.

wxWidgets+GLFW+CEF = universal port.

Been learning wxWidgets this week, and honestly the wxAUI is really nice. Only thing that's a bit rough is that the scintilla suite's C++ lexer is objectively a mess and it's been giving me trouble converting it to handle DM's semantics.

So far I can load and edit DM files and DME files with code folding, but I don't have a proper loader written for DMI or DMM files, and the syntax highlighting is more than a little off.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
wxWidgets+GLFW+CEF = universal port.

I have used wxWidgets, but I prefer Qt. I think it's cleaner and better-documented. It's not completely standard C++, but then wxWidgets doesn't win any style points for the abundant use of macros either.

I think a universal port using either framework would not be entirely too complex given appropriate attention to design, but if I were to port the pager, client, and/or server I would want to do so with the cooperation of Lummox JR. Not only because he readily has access to the DMB format and networking---neither of which is terribly fun to reverse-engineer---but because BYOND Software is a business and I know that serving ads in lieu of memberships is at least part of what pays to keep this place going. I would hate, then, to release an ad-free client that brings down the house.

Been learning wxWidgets this week, and honestly the wxAUI is really nice. Only thing that's a bit rough is that the scintilla suite's C++ lexer is objectively a mess and it's been giving me trouble converting it to handle DM's semantics.

I looked into Scintilla at one point, too, and fell out of favor with it roughly where you are at. I deemed that there are better, cleaner, more extensible alternatives. Your mileage may vary.

So far I can load and edit DM files and DME files with code folding, but I don't have a proper loader written for DMI or DMM files, and the syntax highlighting is more than a little off.

I've also recently started on a C++ library for manipulating DMI files. The text parser is basically done, and when the rest of it is done I intend to open-source it. The DMM and DMF formats will follow shortly after, presumably.
I've also recently started on a C++ library for manipulating DMI files. The text parser is basically done, and when the rest of it is done I intend to open-source it. The DMM and DMF formats will follow shortly after, presumably.

Keep me in the loop.

As for Qt vs Wx, I spent some time fooling around with Qt about a year ago. It was nice, but overall I didn't like the fact that it absolutely refused to fall back to native elements in many cases, and doing things like docking and tabbed document views with tear-offs was a total nightmare. Wx makes that trivial with AUI. Add into it the fact that the build size of Qt can be monstrous if building for dynamic linking (or at least it was at the time), and the nature of their license agreement, it fell out of favor with me.

Call me crazy, but I don't mind macro-foo. Wx has implemented other approaches to avoid the macro-foo as well, but I really don't mind the normal way of doing things.

Scintilla's been a nightmare though. That much I will readily admit. It's easy to get working, but it's got a lot of foibles that are less than adequate.

Documentation, though, you aren't kidding. Wx's documentation leaves an awful lot to be desired.
Page: 1 2