ID:2067166

Code:

Problem description:
I wasn't exactly sure which forum to post this in, but since I am a developer and need help on this topic, I guess this is the right one. I have some questions about how things work when it comes to subscriptions to games.

1 Does BYOND take a percentage of the cost for each subscription to a game, if so how much?

2 Is it currently possible to sell in game bonuses as a subscription to a different hub entry than that of the actual game. If you are playing MyGame and have a subscription to MyGameBonusClassName then you get access to that class for a separate subscription fee?

3 How do you access subscription info? I couldn't find any links for this anywhere.

1) Yes, 20% to handle processing the transaction for you.

2) Yes, you can use the passport from other entries in CheckPassport() if said passport is known. You can also use the hub and hub_password arguments to AddCredits(), GetCredits(), and PayCredits(), but this in inadvisable in games where people can download the host files as it would be possible for them to extract your hub_password fairly easily. The reference entry for those procs mentions this security precaution as well.

3) If your game is marked as "Published" you'll see the "Subscriptions" and "Credits" tabs when editing your hub entry. For a game to be marked published you simply need to have a complete hub entry setup and check the "List this game on the main index" under the "Options" tab when editing your entry. Then a moderator will take a look to make sure the game meets the standards listed to you when you check the box to list it, and set it to Published, or reject it with a message telling you why.
In response to Nadrew
Does this mean that there's no secure way to incorporate microtransactions for games that people can download and run their own servers for?
Well, there are ways to do it, but it appears BYOND doesn't have them available.
world.hub_password gets hidden from extraction methods if set in that one place, but used elsewhere it will become visible. So if you're not using an entry that's different from world.hub to handle them then it remains secure.

The problem arises when you use hub_password in the various procs, which isn't needed if you're just calling it without those arguments.
You can easily do this with any payment gateway, a small webserver and MySQL or SQLite.

You can view my PayPal library for a small rough idea on how to do it.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
1) Yes, 20% to handle processing the transaction for you.

Friendly reminder that 20% is higher than the rate most other services take.