ID:2068616

Hi everyone.

I have a little.. well, not really "little" problem that I wanted to share here, to see if I can find an answer.

I usually play a game called "Naruteros", it's a Spanish game based on the Manga made by Masashi Kishimoto, "Naruto" (Yeah, ik, kinda obvious)
My problem is that this game eats an awfully big amount of resources from my PC.
It basically eats between 30-50% of CPU and 300-500 MBs of RAM.

I'm playing it right now and while for some reason it's not eating as much RAM as usual, it IS eating a lot of CPU, just watch it: http://i.imgur.com/kTr1tOl.png

I basically would like to know if there's a solid way to fix it, something that doesn't involve deleting the "BYOND" folder from My Documents all the time.

OR if it's a failure in the code under the game is working.

Thanks in advance for reading, greetings from Uruguay :)

EDIT: Oh, yeah, forgot to specify, I'm using the latest Beta Release from Byond, v510.1337, but tried the latest stable build before and it's no use, it happens in both versions.
30-50% is fairly normal in my experience, do other games take significantly less?
In response to GinjaNinja32
GinjaNinja32 wrote:
30-50% is fairly normal in my experience, do other games take significantly less?

I just tried Falacy's Heroes United (1) and it eats between 10-30% of CPU and less than 350 MBs of RAM.
Sounds like awful programming. It's not that DS itself is using up all of this CPU and hogging RAM, but rather the incompetent developer's fault. It sounds like a rip anyways, which aren't exactly known for efficiency.
There are many factors that can influence CPU usage, so it's really hard to say which ones are in play. A very large map size is usually the biggest factor, as CPU usage tends to scale sort of linearly with the number of turfs on screen. (It's a little more complicated than that.) So if one game has a bigger map than the other, in terms of turfs displayed, that's going to be the main thing that determines CPU usage.

There are lots of factors that could be relevant, though:

- Number of HUD objects on screen
- How intensive the updates are for other interface objects (grids, statpanels, etc.)
- How efficiently icons are broken up to avoid long lookups
- Amount and complexity of maptext in use
- How much animate() is used
- Music being played and the formats used

Those are just some off the top of my head. Also, if the game is forced into software rendering mode for any reason, that will use more CPU as well.