ID:2073121

Applies to:Dream Daemon

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
How feasible would it be to add a parameter to startup() that links the player count of the newly created world to the existing world?

Intention is to start a new server with startup() with the -invisible flag, but ideally the player count of the main server should remain the same regardless of which server the players are connected to.

I suppose this would involve adding a "parent server" variable to the hub somehow, and linking the 2 together statistically.
This seems kind of iffy to me, since the hub isn't arranged in such a way that it has parent/child server relationships. Servers advertising that relationship would have to authenticate it somehow, which makes things a little tougher.
Tom and I actually talked about parent/child stuff for hub entries back when I was working on Eternia and we were thinking about splitting the world up into multiple servers. He really wanted to do something about it at some point (would be nice for board games too), but the more we talked the more the technical monster it would be came to light and it kind of just slowly faded into the background.

It would really be a large headache, but man would it be cool to pull off.
Sorry, but where's the headache part? I genuinely don't see that.

A server is started using startup() with a parameter that says it should consider itself a child of the parent.

At the part where it advertises itself to the hub it sends along an ID that identifies the parent.

The hub stores the ID in a variable.

When presenting a server list you can now group by servers that have the same "parent ID".

When showing the main server you include all of the players in the child servers beforehand. If you wanted to be thorough you could query that list separately and present the players on the server and the players on the server+children separately.

There is one issue I can see and that is the potential issue of security: how to prevent people from abusing this feature to combine the player count of other servers?

I think that is easily resolved by having the hub check if the parent ID it received is hosted on the same machine (same IP).

It would even be backwards compatible: older games don't send the parent ID, so they'd have no parent (which is how it works now)

Is there something I'm missing other than planning/schedule issues? I really want to know if I'm being stupid or naïve with this suggestion.
In response to NullQuery
NullQuery wrote:
Sorry, but where's the headache part? I genuinely don't see that.

A server is started using startup() with a parameter that says it should consider itself a child of the parent.

At the part where it advertises itself to the hub it sends along an ID that identifies the parent.

The hub stores the ID in a variable.

When presenting a server list you can now group by servers that have the same "parent ID".

There's one issue to start with: you'd need to ensure a lack of ID collisions. That would imply using a hub-assigned ID for the parent.

There is one issue I can see and that is the potential issue of security: how to prevent people from abusing this feature to combine the player count of other servers?

I think that is easily resolved by having the hub check if the parent ID it received is hosted on the same machine (same IP).

A same-IP check would, IMO, severely limit the potential for such a feature, since it might be desirable to host servers on different machines.

Is there something I'm missing other than planning/schedule issues? I really want to know if I'm being stupid or naïve with this suggestion.

Not stupid or naïve, I think. But the amount of work that would have to go into the hub, software, and site to implement this is non-trivial, and the planning would have to be careful to avoid potential abuse. (Also, the pager would either have to be modified to allow for this concept, or the hub would have to send just the parent data alone and not include the child worlds. That's very non-trivial.) It's a lot of man-hours to put into something that I think would be used by only one game.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
There's one issue to start with: you'd need to ensure a lack of ID collisions. That would imply using a hub-assigned ID for the parent.

What if the ID was the already-generated world ID that the hub uses for the BYOND.world.* format?

A same-IP check would, IMO, severely limit the potential for such a feature, since it might be desirable to host servers on different machines.

Just to get the feature off the ground, a same-IP check would probably be suitable for most needs in the beginning. Eventually, you'll have to have a model where both the parent is aware of its children and the children are aware of its parent, probably through some linking mechanism.

Given the nature of a feature like this, I don't know that you'd have to worry about building that linking mechanism into BYOND. It's not necessarily a bad idea to simply expose, say, world.parent_world and world.children variables that get reported to the hub and used for verification purposes, and let the developer decide how worlds can be discovered and linked together as parent/children.
In response to Lummox JR
I'll explain how I see things a little further, because I'd really like to know which part of this is non-trivial.

Lummox JR wrote:

I know that there's already an ID assigned for every BYOND world hosted. For instance, at the time of this writing ID 1848259218 points to the Colonial Marines SS13 server.

I'm not sure if this ID is sent to the BYOND world in the daemon<->hub communication, but passing that along should be easy and has no security issues (as the ID is public knowledge).

Yes, but it would allow this feature to be implemented fairly quickly. I'd be a happy camper and you'd be able to resolve another issue.

No, it wouldn't be ideal, but if we're looking at ideal features we're also looking at 3D support for BYOND and multi-threading. This suggestion is minor by comparison.

I'm a programmer at a software company that specializes in web applications. I have a list of issues to resolve just like you. The one thing I've learned since working there is that it's better to have a feature that works and allows us to close an issue than it is to make it perfect. Perfection can come later, when things quiet down and you've got some time in-between projects.

In the case of BYOND this doesn't work as there's no defined end. I believe that in such a case it's even more important to resolve issues as quickly as possible, because there's only ever going to get more of them.

Not stupid or naïve, I think. But the amount of work that would have to go into the hub, software, and site to implement this is non-trivial, and the planning would have to be careful to avoid potential abuse.

With the way I've laid it and looking at the request on a whole I don't see any way in which this could be feasibly abused, at least not in a way that couldn't be addressed if and when it occurs.

In the worst case scenario there's a bug that allows worlds to masquerade as each other, which is an issue that can be addressed in the backend without requiring a new release of BYOND. Absolute worst case the hub stops accepting the new information.

Assuming such a bug doesn't exist the only other way to introduce abuse is through packet spoofing, which I doubt many members of this community would even be capable of.

(Also, the pager would either have to be modified to allow for this concept, or the hub would have to send just the parent data alone and not include the child worlds. That's very non-trivial.)

I think that for the moment the children could be considered as always being hidden, and the parent just gets the combination of players from its children. It's the easiest solution. If there's more demand for it then it could be expanded upon later, if there's not then I'll be the only one using it so far.

As for triviality, to me it sounds like you'd have to intercept an array of players somewhere and append players from other servers. This would all be on the part of the hub and the data that it sends through.

The only caveat I can think of is if the pager/daemon/website assumes that an element within the players array is always truly connected to that server. This request would change that expectation, but that can be documented.

It's a lot of man-hours to put into something that I think would be used by only one game.

Passing the ID to Dream Daemon and receiving the parent ID: 1 hour.
Modifying the hub to report players from child servers as well: 2 hours.
Modifying the website frontend to show players from child servers: 2 hours.

5 hours of work vs. the gratitude of one of your BYOND Members, who happens to have saved you at least 8 hours of work already.

I don't see the problem here. Either the BYOND source-code is an even worse mess than I can fathom, or you don't want to do the work but you don't want to straight-out say it.
In response to Lummox JR
One thing I'd like to add to this which goes off-topic is that this type of behavior ("it's non-trivial, deferred") is exactly the kind of thing that scares away potential developers (and thus potential new games, thus potential new revenue streams/income).

I'm still really really hoping that you'll work with us some more on crushing some of these specific issues. It's the only way BYOND is/was going to grow.
In response to NullQuery
finnaly someone gets it -_-"
In response to Audeuro
Audeuro wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

What if the ID was the already-generated world ID that the hub uses for the BYOND.world.* format?

That was actually my first thought, but it's too easy to get and therefore easy to spoof. It wouldn't work.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
That was actually my first thought, but it's too easy to get and therefore easy to spoof. It wouldn't work.

Spoofing is perfectly fine, though, if the parent/children both have to agree that this screaming child claiming to be related to the parent is actually the parent's screaming child.

If the child spoofs its parent ID, then the parent has to have reported that as a child-- if so, then the association can be properly made. I don't think you need to worry about the parent spoofing children, because it would make perfect sense to just store away what a world claims as children until the children step up to the plate and broadcast that they have a parent.

Essentially, only act on children setting their parents or parents *removing* children.
In response to NullQuery
NullQuery wrote:
I know that there's already an ID assigned for every BYOND world hosted. For instance, at the time of this writing ID 1848259218 points to the Colonial Marines SS13 server.

I'm not sure if this ID is sent to the BYOND world in the daemon<->hub communication, but passing that along should be easy and has no security issues (as the ID is public knowledge).

The fact that the ID is public knowledge also means any world can simply claim it as their parent. A same-IP check would help in that regard, but it would also lock this into using that ID and therefore it'd be hard to break away to non-same-IP cases in the future. This is the kind of design decision that's bitten us in the butt before, so these days I plan out hub features in particular very, very carefully.

With the way I've laid it and looking at the request on a whole I don't see any way in which this could be feasibly abused, at least not in a way that couldn't be addressed if and when it occurs.

I'm not sure how it would be addressable. There'd have to be some kind of mechanism for a hub to proactively say: "No, this isn't mine." It seems like that's the kind of thing that should be built into the initial design, or else it becomes an admin hassle for the hosts, authors, and me.

In the worst case scenario there's a bug that allows worlds to masquerade as each other, which is an issue that can be addressed in the backend without requiring a new release of BYOND. Absolute worst case the hub stops accepting the new information.

I don't see how this would be a hub-only fix, if the design turned out to be exploitable. In the past such things have always impacted the software as well. This is why I insist on using a well thought-out design from the outset, because designs that were quick and easy have burned us in the past--especially for hub features.

It's a lot of man-hours to put into something that I think would be used by only one game.

Passing the ID to Dream Daemon and receiving the parent ID: 1 hour.
Modifying the hub to report players from child servers as well: 2 hours.
Modifying the website frontend to show players from child servers: 2 hours.

5 hours of work vs. the gratitude of one of your BYOND Members, who happens to have saved you at least 8 hours of work already.

That breakdown is completely unrealistic.

Modifying the software to alter the hub communication protocols on its end takes a certain amount of time, and that's after a design is finalized. For instance, I'd have to either find a message the hub is using to send info or I'd have to add a new one, add routines to access the data that was sent back, etc. More than 1 hour of work, and that's not counting the time investigating the messages and the flow (on both ends), nor the testing time after the hub has been updated, nor the time involved in getting a release out. Also, a change like this may need to be a major-version change.

Hub alteration is a stickier affair. Leaving out the aforementioned time investment in studying whether to add a new message or modify an existing one (since it applies to both ends), everything has to be compiled and tested carefully with both the software update and the old software. This is not a fun process. The hub gets angry when mishandled and therefore requires more fuss.

For this issue, the hub would also need to handle all the parent-child stuff, which means the addition of new queries and the modification of other queries. Those changes are not simple because they require either grouping or not grouping depending on the presence of an ID and a matching parent, whereas the existing queries can be run straight. The hub is a lot more rigid with its data handling than the site. (On the site, this process would be easier because the site gathers the records first and they're fairly easy to manipulate. The hub likes to pipeline things. For this reason it might actually be easier to run this as two queries, finding a way to string them together.) Part of this is assuming of course that the pager won't be touched, and that some of these modifications are to the data the hub presents to the pager.

The site part ironically is probably the easiest of all, since the way worlds are read from the hub is much more centralized and manipulating the query results there is fairly straightforward. In fact showing the child servers probably wouldn't be all that bad either, although as a first step that wouldn't even be necessary.

Ultimately we're talking about four different interoperating pieces of software that would need to be thoroughly tested with these changes. (Even if the pager isn't modified on its end, the results of the grouping on the hub end would have to be tested there.) Switching between these projects is also a pain, and requires significant mental "spin-up" time; a case like this would require switching back and forth several times over to make sure all the bases were covered, even after the initial study and design portion.

So the time investment is far greater than you make it out to be. I wouldn't say it would take a full week, but it's not the kind of thing I'd burn through in one day. Also it's often the case with hub and site changes that because they can be prickly, I'll work on them and then re-study the changes before I commit anything. I wouldn't dare do any less.

I don't see the problem here. Either the BYOND source-code is an even worse mess than I can fathom, or you don't want to do the work but you don't want to straight-out say it.

The former is certainly true, but I did actually say the latter; in my view the time investment is too significant for something that will impact very few people.

IMO it would make more sense for anyone who wants to group their servers to keep track themselves of which servers they're running, and display that appropriately on an outside page. Pager users would always end up joining the main server with this setup, and site users would probably tend to overwhelmingly favor the main server, whereas with a custom setup of your own you could rotate the servers or do whatever you like.

It's not that this isn't doable. I'm just having a really hard time seeing the utility of it, and making changes to the hub isn't something I do lightly; the utility has to be correspondingly high. In this case I see this maybe impacting one or two SS13 branches, not even most of them, and as many SS13 branches have their own sites, it seems like the grouping would be way easier for them to setup on their end.
BTW, I completely understand it's demoralizing to hear that a feature you really want is non-trivial. I say such things because I want to be totally up-front about the likelihood of things being added, fixed, etc.

Remember the big icon issue? I said that was non-trivial. I finally got to dealing with it recently, and it stirred up a hornet's nest of issues that took a long time and multiple releases to resolve.

This issue is much less so; I think once implemented and tested, it would be unlikely to cause any problems except for possible abuse. But conversely, there was extremely high demand for that big-icon fix.
big icon issue is still not fully fixed theres still some flickering happening from time to time on large monitors with large views
In response to Zasif
Soooo.... when exactly are you planning on reporting this? -.-
In response to GreatPirateEra
Never, I'm done reporting anything. Will just put it in the backburner like the Alerts/popups where movement gets fucked up. Since thats the new way of dealing with bugs :V
In response to Zasif
Zasif wrote:
Never, I'm done reporting anything. Will just put it in the backburner like the Alerts/popups where movement gets fucked up. Since thats the new way of dealing with bugs :V

I tested your alert/popup issue, repeatedly and under multiple circumstances. I was not able to reproduce it. I am absolutely eager to fix that issue, but I need a test case that produces it reliably. Your test case didn't produce it for me at all. We've been over all this before. Only a rare few bugs can be fixed without ever being able to reproduce them. That bug isn't on the back burner; it simply doesn't have a test case that can be used to research and fix the problem.

Likewise if the big icon issue isn't completely fixed, I need a report on it and a test case that shows the problem in action, and then I'll be happy to look into it as I did all the other bug reports on that issue.
In response to Lummox JR
Sure, let me know when you get a 1080p monitor and a 2k monitor.
In response to Zasif
If the big-icon issue is still happening, monitor size is completely irrelevant; it will be reproducible with a smaller monitor with a smaller zoom level, so you should have no problem producing a test project that shows the issue in action. The whole map flickering would be something else entirely.

And I'm still more than happy to look into the alert/input issue if you can find a way to reproduce it on a reliable basis. I tried repeatedly on your demo and just couldn't get it to work no matter what I did.
In response to Lummox JR
So, this issue... is pretty easy to implement. I've already laid down the exact steps to implement it. I don't know about the underlying frameworks, but I do know that you designed the BYOND Pager software yourself and unless you're far less competent than I think you are you'll be able to send an extra 8 bytes to the hub.

Security is moot. The worst case scenario is that someone claims their server is a child of someone else's. So what? They'd only be artificially increasing someone else's player count. Most people in this community aren't even capable of finishing their own projects, let alone working together with others.

If something does happen you've still got the same-IP option. Or you can turn off the functionality altogether until you find the time to look at it later. You'll get no objection from me, I'm happy enough that someone is still working on the software.

But that actually doesn't matter. I could argue this all night and you'd still be right. Implementing this feature could introduce a bug. You could make a poor design choice that would cause you more work later. That's true.

So instead I'll tell you what you're doing wrong, and the real reason you're not making thousands of dollars a week off of BYOND.

For the past 5 years I've been working for a small company that was founded at around the same time BYOND was originally founded. The key difference is that we're making money.

So you should know that if I'm telling you that this is the way you need to do this, then it's the way you need to do this. This isn't me talking, this is the years of experience I've accumulated at my job and its history.

And what I'm trying to tell you is this: the problem with BYOND, the reason you're scraping by on donations and ad space, is your rules and procedures. They work very well for a larger organisation, but it does not work at all if you're a small company, and it's an absolute disaster when you're the sole developer.

You're supposed to work faster, not smarter. You don't have the luxury of having the time to be smart. You need to implement features and get BYOND to the point where it can be presented as a product of 2016.

The biggest item on your to-do list according to your own announcements is the implementation of regular expressions in Dream Maker. This is a feature that should've been implemented 10-15 years ago AT LEAST and you've only now found time for it.

But that's the thing: you don't have the time for it. You need to implement this feature as soon as possible, because a BYOND Member asked for it. Not just a BYOND Member, but someone who knows what he's doing, and who might attract other developers to BYOND, who may in turn attract more players who become BYOND Members. I'm a rare kind of person: someone who has stuck around BYOND for years and years and is still drawn toward it like a moth to a light.

You have absolutely no idea who you're dealing with. At the beginning of this week I thought "hey, let's extend my postgresql database operations library with mysql and sqlite support, split it up, and open-source it". So I did. If our positions were reversed I'm sure that it'd still be in the planning stages, deciding how to go about implementing it. But I analyzed and came up with a design in a couple of minutes, and implemented it. I tested my work, and released it.

And just like you believe no-one (or very few) may end up using this feature, I'm not sure if anyone is going to use my work. But I did it anyway, because it's progress. It's a step forward toward my goals, one of hich is giving you less work and another which is contributing something good to the community.

Again, I'm really hoping you'll see this and that things change. The way everything has been going BYOND will die a slow death. I think SS13 is the primary reason BYOND is still relevant, and there are multiple projects already to port it to another language.

In the time it took me to write this message I could've been at least 1/4th done with implementing this feature already. And that's without inside knowledge of the BYOND source-code.
Page: 1 2