ID:2073188

BYOND Version:510.1339
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 50.0.2661.75
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

DreamSeeker will stop rendering the main window when the map.icon-size is set to 0 using winset, this has always worked this way in the past, and has stopped working when i updated my system to Windows 10.

DXDiag: https://totallynotmy.website/5Qsb.txt

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

1. Call .winset "window_map.map.icon-size=0"
2. See a non-updating map.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
    elem
name = "&Icons"
command = ""
category = ""
is-checked = false
can-check = false
group = ""
is-disabled = false
saved-params = "is-checked"
elem "stretch"
name = "&Stretch to fit"
command = ".winset \"window_map.map.icon-size=0\""
category = "&Icons"
is-checked = true
can-check = true
group = "size"
is-disabled = false
elem "icon32"
name = "&32x32"
command = ".winset \"window_map.map.icon-size=32\""
category = "&Icons"
is-checked = false
can-check = true
group = "size"
is-disabled = false
elem "icon16"
name = "&16x16"
command = ".winset \"window_map.map.icon-size=16\""
category = "&Icons"
is-checked = false
can-check = true
group = "size"
is-disabled = false
Have you tried 1339? There's code that should fix this behavior, as it was reported in another post.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Have you tried 1339? There's code that should fix this behavior, as it was reported in another post.

I just tried this, and it's still happening on 510.1339.
Ah, I misread this and was thinking the map size itself also had to be zero.

Does switching to software rendering mode fix the issue?

Does this happen on other machines or other projects (e.g., a vanilla project)?

I'm curious of there's something about SS13 in particular that might cause this to come up. In theory, you should see the same issue with specific high zoom levels if it's just a problem with the video card not wanting to allocate the rendering space.

Also since you did update your system to Windows 10, did you try doing a full reinstall of BYOND so that it would update DirectX? Did you update your video drivers as well?
Does switching to software rendering mode fix the issue?

Yes, totally.

Does this happen on other machines or other projects (e.g., a vanilla project)?

Yes.

the video card not wanting to allocate the rendering space.

That would be rather interesting, especially since it only stopped working after i upgraded to Windows 10, and upgraded the drivers and all.

Also since you did update your system to Windows 10, did you try doing a full reinstall of BYOND so that it would update DirectX? Did you update your video drivers as well?

Yes, all drivers, software and everything has gotten a fresh clean install!
That's really weird, since other Windows 10 users haven't reported the same thing.

I would suggest, as a way of gathering data, trying different specific zoom levels like 1, 2, 3, etc. to see where the display breaks down.

I'd also like to know if DirectX is throwing any errors that the software isn't detecting. If you install the Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010), it comes with a tool called PIX that can be used to examine the results of DirectX calls. I'd be curious to see what that saw when you changed to stretch-to-fit zoom.

I'd also like to know, if you can run some tests on older versions, if this issue goes way back or if there's a specific version it started in. That might actually be the very best clue, since if you can find a version where this started I can diff the code to find what changed.
Oh, additional followup: The installer will create a folder called "dx\redist" in your BYOND installation. If you go there and open up a command prompt, and type "dxsetup", does it generate any error messages?
I found a long thread on similar issues here, but I'm not sure if there's any gold in there or not.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/ insider_apps-insider_other/ problem-with-games-and-directx-in-windows-10/ 4e2f6597-d480-4d2e-977b-95a7e24f5df9

Might be worth having a look over in case anything jumps out at you. There's 9 pages worth and a lot of the advice repeats, but still it's a lot of different voices.
I would suggest, as a way of gathering data, trying different specific zoom levels like 1, 2, 3, etc. to see where the display breaks down.

32x32 and 64x64 both work completely fine, but 56x56 or Stretch to Fit will both cease to work, completely.

The installer will create a folder called "dx\redist" in your BYOND installation. If you go there and open up a command prompt, and type "dxsetup", does it generate any error messages?

I don't see a "dx\redist" folder inside the "C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\" folder, or any of its sub-directories.

I'll see if i can spend some time poking around with PIX and older BYOND versions somewhere this weekend.
I'm not sure what you mean about 56x56. I'm referring more to map.zoom, since icon-size is deprecated.

I was wrong about dx\redist; that's what it is in the build. It should be just "directx" in your BYOND installation.