ID:2073585

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
Problem description:
For some reason my 'find' function in dream maker is off. Whatever is highlighted (or even if nothing is highlighted) goes into the FIND text field pre-emptively (just like if you highlight a proc, and press F1 - it takes you right to the index on that proc).

This is super annoying when you're using ctrl+F to navigate your code and make changes. For example, you've typed myproc(mob/m) when you should have typed myproc(obj/o). I know ctrl+H is more useful in this example, but sometimes its not -- this is just a quick example.

Its so broken right now, that I can't use it because its the worst method of doing *anything*.

Have I changed a setting somewhere? *Is* there a setting I can change? What's the fix?

I believe the highlight/previous-character-clicked being preemptively placed in the Find box is a default action, and in my opinion is a good default action.

Try making sure nothing is highlighted next time you use Find. Click on an empty line of whitespace in Dream Maker.

It's not broken, it's just your opinion is different from the intended function. Maybe there could be a feature request to toggle the preemptive insertion of highlighted text. Also, typos are not DM error and instead user-error for the whole myproc(mob/m) instead of myproc(obj/o) example.

Also... this doesn't belong in Developer Help as it's nothing relevant to development or code and moreso related to Dream Maker itself. I would move this to Feature Request to have an additional option placed for the Search Function. Either a checkmark box in the Find box--that will save it's self so future Find's take into consideration whether or not to preemptively input highlighted/previous-text-from-cursor or not, or an option in the Options drop-down just like Line Numbers and Show Tabs.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
I very much doubt it's the intended function - it hasn't worked that way for years and years (ever). Now it does - and it doesn't even work in the way such functions typically to.

I use ctrl+F 99.99% of the time to find sections of code, edit them, and then find the next thing that needs editing.
This setting breaks use that entirely - it's genuinely quicker to just use the mousewheel and my eyes.

I'm not sure what you mean about typos, but it looks like you've gone entirely off topic or missed the point?

Also... it absolutely belongs here, because as far as I can tell, its some setting I've got that's been changed from the normal. There is no better place than a problem with the development software, than Developer Help - unless they've added a more specific forum??? It's here or the bug reports if I can't fix it locally. Perhaps I didn't quite explain the bug properly, but I don't see how I can do better sorry.
Best response
The find dialog was recently improved to handle cases with code was highlighted, if you want to continue searching for the same thing multiple times simply press F3.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
...simply press F3.

Wooo! Just tested it out and yeah this preserves the previous functionality and also improves it. Thanks