ID:2073771

At last I feel 510 is just about set for becoming the new stable release, so I expect I'll finalize that next week. Version 510.1340 is out today, and it's my hope that it will be the last beta before 511.

I have a pretty full set of ideas now for 511, although one of the ones I'm really interested in--filters like blur, drop shadows, etc.--is still eluding me somewhat in terms of figuring out a syntax and an implementation path. I'm going to have to sit down and give that one a lot of thought.

The community has spoken loud and clear that it's time to get gamepad support in, something I wanted to do a long time ago. I'm actually looking forward to this a lot. The parts I still need to figure out are: 1) How will games setup a "standard" mapping for the keyboard macro system, or will it be something different than the macro system? 2) What should the default mapping be? 3) How will users override those settings locally? 4) What options will there be for linking buttons and thumb sticks to the mouse? (Some of this should be out of control_freak's purview, I think, at least in terms of remapping buttons.) I welcome any input on how to go forward on those things.

A similar issue on tap is game-specific mute/volume controls. And I think I'd much prefer to move stuff out of the current dialog box that DS uses for some of the universal settings, and make them easier to access.

The very top priority in 511 is var access optimization, a feature SS13 wants pretty badly for obvious reasons. It could have happened in 510, but the map chunk change really swallowed that up. It's time to get 510 out there and get this into 511 instead.

Another major thing I'm hoping to do in 511 is a client-side frame rate, which can differ from the server and therefore display animations and such faster (when feasible) without impacting server performance. I can see a lot of games wanting a faster look without having to tick fast on the server side.

The last week of April is coming up. Don't forget to put in a donation or become a Member if you haven't already. Your support helps keep big things coming and lets me keep working on shoring up existing stuff as well.

Have a great weekend, everybody! Fire up the grills if the weather permits, and keep your fingers crossed that a different Snow comes back.
Will the gamepad support Joystick sensitivity?
Looking forward to seeing how client-side frame rate turns out.
In response to Kozuma3
Assuming joystick values range from -1.0 to +1.0 (per axis), sensitivity is easily done in softcode by simply multiplying by your sensitivity scale value. It's literally stick_x * sensitivity_x.

Still, curious how the input will actually be handled. Maybe a stick can be bound like a macro, and the command is called whenever the value changes with two arguments: the first being the name of the axis (1, 2, "left x", "right y", and/or some named constant) and the second being the value from -1.0 to 1.0.

I'm hoping people who have already designed for gamepad controls will chime in.
Also, a recent topic of MrStonedOne's reminded me of world.Export()'s inherent slow response, even in locally setup worlds.

Is it a possible optimizations could be made in that area?

Existing feature request here.
In response to FKI
Along with the implementation of libcurl and ssl support.
The direction development is going right now is totally rad. Lummox, how long do you estimate it'll take to get your game pad support ready for testing ?
In response to Flame Guardian
Flame Guardian wrote:
The direction development is going right now is totally rad. Lummox, how long do you estimate it'll take to get your game pad support ready for testing ?

I haven't started it yet, so I have no estimate.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Flame Guardian wrote:

I haven't started it yet, so I have no estimate.

You have any idea what framework you're gonna use for gamepads or if multiple gamepads could possibly be supported?