ID:2076891

Not a bug
BYOND Version:510.1340
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 31.0.1650.59
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
A normal Icon over a Icon that has New() doesn't take effect.

Example

turf
Flower
icon = 'Flower.dmi'
icon_state="Flower"

Floor
icon = 'Floor.dmi'
icon_state="1"
New()
icon_state="[rand(1,20)]"

Floor will always end up been 1 instead of randomly picking a state if a Flower is over the Floor.

Tbh not sure if its an actual bug.
Not a bug, turfs don't stack, one of the turfs is added to the other as an underlay, the underlay is not an actual /turf/Floor and thus it doesn't execute New() and ends up having default icon state of 1.

You might want to randomly add flowers as overlays to the floor, perhaps even with a random pixel offset.
Well if it isn't a bug then it should be a feature request where you can do this without turfs getting messed up if stacked over each others.
In response to Zasif
If you think it should be a feature request then make it a feature request.
Your flower should likely be an obj, if you want to put it on top of other floors.
The ability to add things as underlays/overlays and properly sort them is what you're after.

I think it'd make a nice addition to map editing. Although it might already exist with some key shortcut I'm not aware of.

EDIT: I'll just put this here http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1999512#comment17777338
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)