ID:2078482

(See the best response by Higoten.)
Hello. I've been trying to connect to a server of a game (Shinobi) but I can't. On the hub I can connect to one server, but not the other. I click Join but all it does it show "Connecting...", and then "Connection failed." This is what the image looks like.

https://i.gyazo.com/263b8bbb49c3fbd04c72e184e18e78f7.png

I've switched my BYOND version to beta, then back to stable. I'm pretty sure it isn't an Adobe or DirectX issue, but if so I believe my DirectX was updated when I downloaded the stable and beta versions of byond. Other players are able to connect to the game, but not I. BYOND isn't blocked by my antivirus or firewall software.
When you get "Connection failed" on only one server, it means one of the following:

1) That server is not accepting connections after all.
2) Your system is unable to connect to that server, possibly due to antivirus/firewall settings blocking that specific IP address.
3) There is a break in the routing between you and the server.

The only one of those that's fixable on your end is #2. #3 you can investigate with tools like tracert and ping.
I'm at a university so maybe that is the problem. I already checked my windows firewall and BYOND is whitelisted. As for 3# yeahh I suppose I could use those. Any other fixes or suggestions?
This is a network issue. Either something on your system is blocking that address, or something between you two is. The university firewall is as good a guess as any, especially if the game is hosted on a port that's commonly used for P2P sharing. (Although heck, I have no idea if anyone does P2P sharing anymore aside from torrents.)
Damn it. I have no clue how to address this issue further to fix this. Thanks anyways man.
In response to Oleic
Best response
Hi Oleic,

In the past, using a virtual private network has occasionally resolved problems similar to yours (Although the best solution would be to contact the universities' IT staff and see if they are able to make an exception.). However, a while back VPNs were restricted due to spam and such. But I believe that a few are whitelisted, and you may be able to request that information by using the support form.
I can use this form to request the use of a VPN?
VPNs aren't really restricted; however proxies are generally disallowed for creating new accounts. You should be able to use a VPN to play.

The only caveat I would mention with that is that some servers have been burned by certain VPN users, and may ban specific services. This is unlikely to impact you but worth noting.
What's a reliable VPN software either of you would recommend? I once had Tortoise VPN or something a couple years ago. Never used it though.
In response to Oleic
CyberGhost VPN is a VPN option that has good reviews and has a free edition. However, It has been several years since I last used that program, so you'll have to refer to its documentation for usage instructions.
That's actually the one I used. Thanks for the help guys.