ID:2079021

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
Is it possible to run the web-client offline without having to run Dream Daemon?

No.
In response to Ter13
Thanks.
Best response
The reason you need Dream Daemon is that the webclient doesn't have any code to run an actual world on its own; it's just the client end, so it has to contact a remote server running BYOND to play.
Dream Daemon runs on linux, yes?

If Dream Daemon works on linux, they can be configured to run on Mac using FinkCommander.

If one writes a batch/bash script to run DD with the "-once -close" flags, in theory it should be possible to also open a chromeapp that connects directly to the IP and port that DD is hosting on.

Meaning native mac, windows, and linux with a single distribution.
I've fiddled with writing a standalone wrapper that launches a hidden DD world that's closed to outside users and then launches a CEF window with the game loaded into it. I made a bit of progress but got distracted by real life.
Can you launch DD from the standalone without having BYOND installed?
With the right files in place, yeah. DD doesn't seem to require much in the way of stuff the installer does, just the appropriate dll files. It technically violates the terms of service though, so I can't actually distribute it.
DD doesn't seem to require much in the way of stuff the installer does, just the appropriate dll files

Okay, that's not what I asked, but it does answer my question.

Yeah, I've already gotten that far myself. But effectively you do need to have BYOND installed --just not via the BYOND installer. I was specifically asking if just downloading a BYONDexe would allow you to run DD servers via startup() as an end-user. Which is a no going from your contradictory answer. Cool though.
The whole standalone setup is built around Dream Seeker at present. But I think your question brings up a great point that's worth thinking about some more.
Sorry I plow into walls, ceilings, and corners everywhere I seem to go in this engine, Lummox. It's my nature...

I really appreciate your taking the time to read my ramblings and not shaking me to death out of frustration with the fact that I break everything I touch (at least it's not from incompetence, though).
I see what you mean about it needing to be installed, I'm talking more along the lines of single-player games running in the webclient (because I can see the snazzy HTML5/CSS3 goodies it has being really handy in the future). For multiplayer applications I haven't put much thought into it because in all of those cases for my purposes I'm not planning to distribute files to players.