Hedgerow Hall

by Hedgemistress
Hedgerow Hall
Serious role-playing-oriented game world, with animals.
ID:2081841

Okay, so steps 7 and 8 out of 10 had to do with creating the account system and unique/stable player IDs, and then making a "land claim" system whereby characters can claim a parcel of land (currently 9x9 tiles, slotted into a fixed grid in the 45x45 map regions). When you have a "claim deed" equipped, the grid space you're currently in is highlighted. If you're in a space that can't be claimed (public region, not outdoors, already claimed), the highlight disappears.

Claimed parcels show up slightly highlighted to everybody, though you can choose to hide your parcel's status. By and by I may change the parcel visibility to use images so that it can be handled by preferences on both sides.

This was all preparatory for step 9: burrows.

I'm happy to say that burrows are now a thing.

Adding burrows to the game required me to add dynamic map saving; thus far, there has been nothing in the game that can change a map tile in a region after it first initializes, and thus it never needed to be saved.

For dynamic changes like those to burrows, I'm using the following system: when a map is changed, it is added to a queue list of maps to be saved. The game's main clock proc will save one map per tenth-of-a-second tick. A flagged map is also saved before being unloaded, and obviously the whole queue is saved when the world shuts down.

With burrows in, I have 9 out of 10 of my pre-playtesting goals put in. What's number 10? I have it on my to-do list as "social elements", but it's more about making the game habitable/playable for people who aren't me... replacing placeholdery/debugging-related text output with sanitized game stuff is part of it, adding text handling for when someone you are observing does something, making accessible documentation, etc.

Getting very close.
Looking forward to it :)
Great news.