ID:2082339

So, I host a server for SS13 (Colonial Marines).

I've got someone who's appealing a ban, but their Ckey is clean of any bans on the server, they aren't stickybanned, and their IP isn't blocked by the firewall.

Why are they getting a Banned By Host message?

Also, It's ONLY them. I've got 80 other people on right now no issues.
One of the sticky bans is catching them. If you can give me more info I can look into it.
Well firstly, every stick-ban ever placed by us uses a format, the description of the stickban says:

X##XXX## With the first letter being their name, then the DDMMMYY format date. He sent me a screenshot, it just shows this:

https://embed.gyazo.com/11c9480e83d46c45e7c8b6d79c5c3063.png
"Access denied" means either the host has the person pager banned, or banned using Dream Daemon's ban tools.

It doesn't generally show the reason (it should, but that feature poofed when the splash screen came about), even if the ban has one attached.
I searched our ban archives totally. Nothing.
Have you checked pagerban.txt? It's different from hostban.txt -- keep in mind that this person's account could simply be associated with an account you HAVE banned, sticky bans will pull in other accounts that BYOND knows to be linked to the banned account.
As I said, all our stickybans have reasons+codes with them.
Also, you can find any stickyban with the "find player" function in the Daemon.
Plus, I dug through ALL the stickybans to see associated bans. Nothing.
I can't find Pagerban.txt, but this is on our remote, so I highly doubt it's a pagerban since it's hosted off a dummy account I made specifically for hosting (ColonialMarines).
Just becaue the reason didn't display for him doesn't mean there wasn't one. If you can give me the user's account (or IP if they're a guest) and your ban.txt file, I can take a look. You can send both by PM.
Sure, but I already checked the ban.txt for his account and his IP.
Just because his account and/or IP isn't listed doesn't mean he wasn't caught in a sticky ban by association.
the bans.txt has all caught keys, so it does mean that (or it should)

Actually at this point I'm wondering if the ban is sticky at all. If his key isn't ending up in the list, then that's a non-sticky catch. That radically limits the possibilities for what the ban would catch.
Another possibility is that the user is attempting to connect to your server as a guest (It appears that your server doesn't permit guests.) and the provided screenshot doesn't give enough information to conclude if that is or isn't the case.

This can be tested by having the user connect to a game that will display their username upon joining, and doesn't restrict guests (such as Last Robot Standing). If their username is displayed upon joining, that would rule out this possibility, if it displays as a Guest, then that would suggest that Dream Seeker can't communicate and pull key information from the BYOND Pager, most-likely due to an aggressive firewall blocking BYOND.exe or dreamseeker.exe.
Access Denied means it is a ban; the question is what's triggering the ban. It's possible that the internal host ban system may have nothing to do with it, and it may be something from IsBanned() in the code.
Any thing from isbanned, will always say banned by host: <reason here>. blank reasons just say banned by host in my experience,

If it just says "access denied", it means that DD is seeing them as banned, but having issues getting the index of the ban. We had this issue following a sticky ban going haywire and banning everybody on /tg/station

The easiest fix is to edit the ban.txt directly and add or remove a space (encoded as + in the file) from every ban's reason, save this, and wait a round and this will force DD to reload the list properly.

The other reason it would say that is if the user tried to connect while another connection from them was processing/authing, but i doubt it's that.

Worst case, assuming you haven't tried this, is just close and re-open DD between rounds (and update while you are at it)
Another guy, having the same problem:

http://puu.sh/oRIWY/5401d7a618.png
I understand there isn't much info from the screenshots, but that is all they are sending me, so it's all the Info I can really get, the usernames are:
Lcass123
Tomoyobro
Tomoyobro is being caught under the chickenmcnuggets ban.

Lcass123 isn't showing any ties that I can easily see, which is puzzling to me.
Hey apophis, contact me on skype (you already have my info), I could have you send over your isbanned() code as well as any of the related procs. just to rule out any bug edge cases there and help you add some logging to failed connections so we can see if thats even at play just to rule it out and the hope that it gives some sort of hint.