ID:2082912

Hello Readers! Many schools and colleges will be starting their summer vacations over the next few weeks (If they haven't already), which means there will be plenty of opportunities (in-between other commitments) to work on your BYOND projects, learn new features, and get your original work featured in this newsletter! Here are the latest updates to help get your creative juices flowing!

BYOND

Lummox JR spent a week with the primary focus being set on getting the Webclient's sound capabilities on par with Dream Seekers and being able to release the first stable edition of BYOND 510 sometime soon. In the meantime, he's preparing to make BYOND great with a list of wishes and goals for BYOND 511. Among those uncertain goals are gamepad support, efficiency fixes, secure URL support, client side frame rates, mutable appearances, and more than a dozen others.

BYOND Games

Quarantine v3 has been published by Magicbeast20 this pass week. Players are still shooting and zombies are still swinging. The interface and controls have seen improvement, zombies have been buffed up, security cameras are up, and stability fixes are in.

Bravo1 published and shared a demo of the content that is currently available in Lux, a futuristic sidescroller. Take the rover throughout the various levels of the complex, and collect power-ups that the inhabitants have trusted it with. There are currently three bosses to challenge, and many floors to explore.

Yutput has been delegating between BYOND and Stream in order to bring Epoch to the majority, while Ter13 has been reducing wasted startup time for the game. New music and hosting menus were added, racing against the clock for a May 18th Steam release. Check out his website as well.

D4RK3 54B3R has been working on Shadowcrest Keep in between college classes, expanding on the trees and dynamic shadows we had seen a few months ago. The demo I played hasn't been declared ready for public display, but swordplay and gun slinging is slick. Bandit Rats, poofy Mushrooms, and fire pits are best avoided. Treasure chests and abandoned crates are filled with loot ready to equip, and lets not forget about the stars, clouds, fireflies, shadows, tooltips, and other exciting graphical flares.

Gailardia Galan Gardios has come with the latest updates to Tales of Judgement R, an action RPG. Day now changes to night, and sun turns into rain. Several aspects of battles and leveling has been altered, archers have been inaugurated, and player vs player battles are in as well.

Hedgemistress has returned to the hills and scenery (collectively, the hillery) of Hedgerow Hall, setting a series of priorities to completion. Maps are generated and flip-flopped, time is of the essence, skills have gone though the think-tank, preferences are selected, Bags of resources are ready to be crafted, environmental conflicts are resolved, and accounts were created so citizens could burrow out of banks again.

The developers of Land of Fire have been feeling the burn, as depicted in their latest development logs. Fast traveling has been marked as complete, so turning their focus to player development, they decided to scrap free-form in favor of a hand-drawn skill tree. Ishri used the disparity between reds and blues and other colors to dynamically identify the skill positions. Meanwhile SulLight has been crafting a dramatic enemy scene.

AvidAnimeFan has been looking for feedback to help progress Ki Warriors Mystic Ball EX as players wish the game to be. The first poll focuses on the style of ultimate attacks that is preferred, and on the second ballot, is the question of the preferred style of combat training.

BYOND Resources

• Ter13 held a binary convention nearing 10 weeks ago... You'll understand after returning from his tutorial.
  • Ter13 then made the case for a new BYOND feature, then wrote about appearance churn, and how you can manage it here and now.
  • Then Ter13 shared a small snippet on how to trump into the world's initialization process, and ensure our commands come first.
  • VictorSound shared a link to his website, filled with free sound effects that may be used by independent developers in their projects and campaign materials.
All I saw was "Ter" xD
Gamepad support would be great. I remember there used to be some kind of library or something that worked with the old 3.9 that gave some kind of shoddy support for gamepads.
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
All I saw was "Ter" xD

Not enough ter in life.
good job for everyone
Production on pondera has been suspended for the longest time, not that anyone cares. The source was probably leaked or sold and I no longer have any interest in Byond because of that (that is all that ever happens on byond, source stealers for their own gain, petty, petty). I am more concerned with World Events and things that actually matter. I might release the source officially, but probably not, this may be my last post as there is no reason to pursue this any longer. Goodbye.
In response to AERProductions
AERProductions wrote:
Production on pondera has been suspended for the longest time, not that anyone cares. The source was probably leaked or sold and I no longer have any interest in Byond because of that (that is all that ever happens on byond, source stealers for their own gain, petty, petty)

Seems leik user error more than BYONDs :P
Kozuma and I are working on something come take a look see.
In response to NetherGames
That font works fine for the title, but for content it's terrible and hard to read. Is suggest changing it.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
That font works fine for the title, but for content it's terrible and hard to read. Is suggest changing it.

Noted, thanks for the input. Now that I'm looking at it I get what you're saying.
NetherGames wrote:

Is it turn based or action based?
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
AERProductions wrote:
Production on pondera has been suspended for the longest time, not that anyone cares. The source was probably leaked or sold and I no longer have any interest in Byond because of that (that is all that ever happens on byond, source stealers for their own gain, petty, petty)

Seems leik user error more than BYONDs :P

Sure, I can agree with that. I should never of went against my original intention of only attempting to do it myself. I allowed myself to believe that people or the byond community itself could be helpful and that is always the downfall for any project. Never believe that anyone is trustworthy or honest and never give your source to anyone, not even if they seem like they genuinely want to help. Everyone on byond is nothing but a liar and a scammer with giant inflated, conceited ego's that put themselves before anything grand like a good community or good projects that are shared. No worries, though, as communities like that always stay niche/small/outcasted and they never grow beyond that category of scumbag. Good people and good projects are ran away and you are all left with mediocrity and a spiteful, vain, shallow, sour community. Enjoy yourselves, you'll probably die lurking the Byond Forums, what a crock.
The interesting thing about your comment, is you seem to exhibit the same qualities you accuse others of having.

Take responsibility for yourself and stop making yourself a victim. Your negativity is not needed.

Edit: Also looking forward to seeing what becomes of Yut Put's Steam release. Keep us in the know.
I allowed myself to believe that people or the byond community itself could be helpful and that is always the downfall for any project.

Nothing wrong with being cautious about people, but there are people who are worth your time. Most often, just handing people your source code without them demonstrating any knowledge on the subject whatsoever is a bad idea.

Here's hoping you find somewhere to let out those creative energies and you can learn from the bad experiences and move on.

The community, if you take it as a whole is pretty trash. No disagreement there. But individual people in the community can be pretty cool to talk to and work with on things. Trouble is, all the people that are alright typically get labeled as "elitists". They are --and with good reason. Because helping people that can't help themselves is a waste of time, and generally just ends up with you getting your pager spammed with questions, people pretending to be friends with you just to butter you up to receive from you, and then basically shitting on you behind your back any time they don't need direct assistance.

That's life though. Most people aren't worth your time/energy. Getting wrapped up in them is a fast track to wasted time and a deep lack of satisfaction with life in general. Trust me, I know.
In response to Ter13
Ambition is very seductive to others. To much ambition may attract others with their own ambitions. Try not to be to ambitious.
In response to Ghost of ET
Ghost of ET wrote:
NetherGames wrote:

Is it turn based or action based?

Action based, we'll be using mechanics a typical mmo should have. Guilds, PvP, PvE, etc. It'll be like Legend of Zelda meets Pokémon meets Fantasy Life(excluding the 3D aspect).
oh... :c
In response to FKI
FKI wrote:
The interesting thing about your comment, is you seem to exhibit the same qualities you accuse others of having.

Take responsibility for yourself and stop making yourself a victim. Your negativity is not needed.

What can I say, byond rubs off on people, isn't it obvious? That is why the whole community is sour and mean. You're all so conceited that you think you are better than everyone else and you put others down just because they can't program as well as you. When people ask for help, they get attacked for not being able to do it themselves. You know what I am talking about and I am not going to argue, have fun piecing apart my posts but I won't bother reading your replies any longer. Isn't warranted and yeah I probably shouldn't of bothered posting, more wasted effort on my part. Guess I just wanted to express my profound disappointment in not only myself, but the community I tried to love since I was a teenager. You get tired of trying after a decade+ with no progress and the same old tired insults thrown at you.

@post below another big ego trying to get the last word, don't care PopisFlat.
AERProductions wrote:
you put others down just because they can't program as well as you. When people ask for help, they get attacked for not being able to do it themselves.

I mean, this is demonstrably false by simply looking at the forum dedicated to that. People who act like asses are beaten as is appropriate, but people who act reasonably are not. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the phrase, "When everyone you meet smells like shit, maybe you should check your own shoes."

PopisFlat

:)
=(

Real talk tho, depression's a hell of a beast. Don't let it get you spun up. In the morning, you'll regret some of the things that were said, but people won't let you live them down.

Good luck in your journeys Beyond BYOND AER.
Page: 1 2