ID:2083899

Resolved
Overlays loaded from a savefile did not have their plane set to FLOAT_PLANE, so a line such as overlays -= 'icon.dmi' failed to remove the loaded overlay.
BYOND Version:510.1342
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 31.0.1650.59
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This issue has been resolved.
I've just reverted back to 510.1341 because theres something wrong with 510.1342 where on Grid Overlays break, For Example I use a Grid for my inventory system and when I click an Item it Equips that item and adds a Icon Overlay with a E synbol over it, if I restart the game that E overlay is Imprinted on the Item forever.

This issue does not happen with 510.1341.
Example:
                    src.overlays += 'Wear.dmi'

///////////////OR////////////////////////

var/image/i = image('Wear.dmi')
src.overlays+=i

Adding those to an Obj thats in the Interface Grid Skin, and Reloading the game afterwords will make it so the Wear icon sticks on the obj forever.

This does not occure with 510.1341.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
I can't verify this with a test project.

Is there any chance the object in question is being saved? Overlays get combined and saved with the object as a single appearance.
Well it doesnt do this in 1341. So how do I fix this it seems it does this because of ur changes you did to overlays in 1342.
Yes the Items are been saved and loaded back in once you relog.
There is literally zero reason you should ever generate an /image object to add to overlays. And loading appearances from savefiles is frankly something that can be intensely unreliable.

Image objects do not go into overlays lists. Appearances go into overlays lists.

This is not an invitation for you to PM me again asking me to explain what I linked you to in half-sentence spurts. Please read this. It will explain how overlays work.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2081779

Start posting on Developer Help. You don't have the skillset that you need to identify BYOND bugs reliably in a way that's easy to fix.

Narrowing down bugs in BYOND requires that you actually:

1) Understand how the system works in the first place.

2) Trap the bug in a reproducible, explicitly demonstrated way.

3) Communicate the method of reproducing the bug in a comprehensible manner.

That said, you may have stumbled into an issue with 1342, but only because you are doing something that you shouldn't have been doing in 1341. Or for that matter, since ever. This may have something to do with /image objects' ids having been overhauled, but without seeing the bug in action and actually finding a good test case, I can't say.

Either way, it's an incorrect use of syntax in my book.
I'm not really using the imagen I was just giving an example.

The ones I use are src.overlays += 'Wear.dmi' for Equipping and src.overlays -= 'Wear.dmi' for Unequipping.
I'm prepared to believe there's something wrong in 1342 that wasn't there in 1341, especially if it impacts images directly (although this case does not, since they're just being added as overlays). There were several changes, although nothing that would have impacted this particular issue that I'm aware of.

Testing the exact same code in 1341 produces different results from 1342? It's very easy to make a change in your code and not realize it's not the same you tested in the previous version, so the best procedure is to retest the exact same code in the older version and compare.

I can tell you that the code you posted should not cause a problem if the object is not saved. If it is saved, you need to be sure the overlays are properly cleared on load if you intend to add to them again.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Overlays loaded from a savefile did not have their plane set to FLOAT_PLANE, so a line such as overlays -= 'icon.dmi' failed to remove the loaded overlay.
The cause of this issue was found thanks to the second report in id:2085279 and the helpful test case provided by Ter13.
Thanks.
I might have another bug report for later for Items that Swap Icons when you pick them up from a loc and move them in urs contents. But I think its a Byond version conflicting with one another so far only users that are using byond stable report this issue and not the people that uses latest beta build which is the one the server is hosted on.
@Zasif: Take a look at the test case I uploaded in the other thread.

Boil the bug down to its basic elements and demonstrate it in a test case like that. They are a lot easier to isolate if you can show it rather than describe it.