ID:208503

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
Well i'm working on a demo (Yah, always saying this). So what i'm trying to do is that if user presses a key (Such as ENTER) the text on the screen advances.

Thanks. :3
Best response
You'd have to assign a macro to that key that executes a verb causing the text to advance.
Well i'll be using Forum_account keyboard library for that, it'll work. However the game displays more than 1 text at once, would i need a datum for this?
If you want peek at something like that, feel free to look at the SByIo Library demo source (even V2 demonstrates it). There is a system somewhat that allows advancing the text upwards as new chat messages show up on the screen (even if it glitches up sometimes, which something I intend to fix in the demo).

In fact, I recently put up an incomplete new test version of V3: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24250760/BYOND/Test%20Versions/ SByIo%20Library_src.zip (It's now under Demo 1.dm)

Feel free to attempt it even when using Forum_account's Keyboard library since it is more ready than my SByIo Library (more work needs to be done).
What do you mean by display more than one text at once?
Most likely this: http://youtu.be/E4Qg6t-S254?t=57s to 0:58. See how the text system is done? Well that o.o
Ocean King wrote:
Well i'm working on a demo (Yah, always saying this). So what i'm trying to do is that if user presses a key (Such as ENTER) the text on the screen advances.

Thanks. :3

This makes some assumptions about how you're displaying text, but you should have something like the show_text() proc shown below.

mob
var
text_delay = 0

proc
show_text(txt)

text_delay = world.tick_lag

for(var/i = 1 to length(txt))
// display the next character to the player

if(text_delay)
sleep(text_delay)

key_down(k)
if(k == "space")
text_delay = 0

Pressing the space bar removes the delay between symbols.
Hm... I see. It was easy as that :facedesk: Well, thanks. What about the other thing, i mean the thing i showed in the video (How the text works after it finished showing text how it shows the next one), i don't find a way to explain it.