ID:2086098

This post is mainly aimed at Lummox JR.

Will the rest of us have the opportunity to integrate with Steam? If so, what will the requirements be?

If BYOND ever enters a state where active development comes to a halt, will Steam integration be automated? Meaning, can we can setup our project for steam on our side and have access to the required steam api through dm?
Yes, you can absolutely have the opportunity to integrate with Steam. NEStalgia and Epoch had different requirements; the former uses some hub/subscription services, and the latter uses none (which is actually much easier to deal with).

For both games there's been a gentlemen's agreement on royalties, since both games bypass BYOND's normal method of selling subscriptions (except NEStalgia, which is also available off-Steam) and the ad system. As a direct result of this, I'm quite happy to work with any author that wants to make a push onto Steam, in order to smooth things along and help them out with their release, with a similar understanding.

Tom and I put quite a lot into the system that supports tying NEStalgia to Steam, and it should be relatively extensible to other games. Epoch uses only a part of that, mostly just the software-side integration (standalone and Steam API foo) without any of the web/hub components, but it's benefiting from those same efforts.
Perfect, thanks for the reply!
Huh. See with Unity you just pay a flat $1500 to publish games for profit (no royalties involved). BYOND wants royalties?
In response to Lugia319
Silk compares BYOND more to Unreal than to Unity in terms of the setup, and I bow to his judgment on that. For clarification, I should point out that none of the arrangements reached so far are in perpetuity, but instead cover a fixed term.
It'd be nice to have some kind of documentation on accessing the SteamAPI that's included with BYONDexe.

I couldn't find any resources on getting a steam username, for instance via DM, or pulling acheivement data or anything like that. Right now we just use the nickname "Guest" for everyone. It's less than ideal.
Is there a way to disable webclient in byondexe? Unsure if it's because I have byond installed or not but the webclient link shows when I host EPOCH's multiplayer.

That's probably not intended.
Is there a way to disable webclient in byondexe?

Not that I've found. It is undesired. It doesn't really matter though, because you can't sign into the game via the webclient. The game refuses any client connections that do not use a very specific and very secret authentication process when hosted.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
It'd be nice to have some kind of documentation on accessing the SteamAPI that's included with BYONDexe.

I couldn't find any resources on getting a steam username, for instance via DM, or pulling acheivement data or anything like that. Right now we just use the nickname "Guest" for everyone. It's less than ideal.

There's nothing currently implemented to grab the Steam username, but if it's feasible then it's something I wouldn't mind adding on request for down the road. Likewise more of the achievement integration, for games that don't intend to use our hub system, wouldn't hurt.

But I say that with the caveat that the Steam API is a pain in the butt to work with; if something goes wrong, it isn't always clear why. Their documentation is thin and their support is somewhere south of "You fail at DMV forever".
I think if Byond is to ever be able to survive (for lack of better terminology) were it open-sourced or what-have-you, a way to communicate/interact with Steam is a must. Byond on Steam is something I only see happening more often as the software progresses and gains more users/developers; it only makes sense.

Not to mention there are some of us who are working on things too, so we'd appreciate it.