ID:2086911

We had a few quick releases on 510 this week to fix some important bugs. 510 still isn't set in stone as the stable version yet, for two reasons: 1) I'm still fixing some last-minute bugs, including one I did just now from Bravo1 combining the new map chunk system and a couple of ancient image bugs from the old pre-chunk system. There's also a pending bug report I'm looking at for Lige that may be important. 2) It's Friday, and I really hate to do a release of that magnitude at the last minute on a Friday.

The biggest news this week is Yut Put's release of EPΘCH on Steam. The game looks terrific, and so far it looks like it's going to do really well. Congrats again, Yut Put!

I haven't forgotten 511 during all of this excitement. I've been working on mutable appearances and to a lesser extent the gamepad stuff, so that I'll have some work under my belt already when I'm ready to dive into the new version in earnest.

This week I had a nice chat with one of our beloved founders, who still checks in from time to time to see how things are going. It's been a year now since the transition, and all things considered I'm pretty happy with how it's gone. A lot of developer-friendly additions have been made, with more on the way, and EPΘCH is just one result of that--with awesome projects like Lux and Severed World also on the horizon.

Thanks again to all the Members and donors who've made ongoing development possible. You guys really are the best.
Awesome Projects like Lux and Severed Worlds eh? Are you forgetting Land of Fire? Who Ishuri and his crew poured their hearts into for almost the last year, with unique attack animations and styles of combat? I think you need to revise your statement Lummox. I'm not Ishuri, but as someone who can speak for him and the growing LoF community, I find it insulting NOT to include that game.
I began ranting on the Skype group, which is why WWD is here speaking for me. I'm going to stand up for my work and say that I'm a little disappointed that LoF isn't getting the recognition it deserves. We pour hours into the game on a daily basis, and no matter how many times this could occur, I'm not going to let it affect my feelings for you or BYOND. It's still a fantastic engine, it's why we use it, it's why we tell people we use it. I just believe that we should be on the same boat as Lux or SW regardless of whether the game even looks good or not because of how much effort we put into it. We're no different, we have the same plans as them, an original, yes original game, trying to make it big as they are, as well as support BYOND any way we can.
I don't think Lummox meant it that way at all. It's just that 1) he works very closely with SW to monitor their webclient performance and fix bugs, 2) he just fixed a bug that Bravo reported, which he couldn't reproduce himself and had to play Lux to reproduce it; which is why he stated these two games specifically. I doubt he's intentionally undervaluing the hard work and dedication that you folks over at LoF put into your game every day.
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
I don't think Lummox meant it that way at all. It's just that 1) he works very closely with SW to monitor their webclient performance and fix bugs, 2) he just fixed a bug that Bravo reported, which he couldn't reproduce himself and had to play Lux to reproduce it; which is why he stated these two games specifically. I doubt he's intentionally undervaluing the hard work and dedication that you folks over at LoF put into your game every day.

It's completely fine. Whether or not he edits it to include it won't change how we feel about the engine, the community, Lummox, nor our plans to support BYOND afterwards. Just felt like I needed to stand up for the hard work we put into a game like LoF.
It wasn't to snub anyone. I was going by updates I see a lot in the "Show me what you got" thread and also games I've done more work with. I don't see a lot of LoF, so I didn't even think to mention it, but that takes away nothing from that game.
In response to Ishuri
I think you need to realize how petty you appear - your posts are the equivalent of a tantrum.

You guys are doing good work with your game, but just because you feel you've done a lot of work, does not mean you are owed anything. Humble yourself; give your all and expect nothing in return.
Congratulations, Yut!

I'll let you know what I think of the game when I finally buy it during a Steam Sale, haha.
In response to Ishuri
Ishuri wrote:
It's completely fine. Whether or not he edits it to include it won't change how we feel about the engine, the community, Lummox, nor our plans to support BYOND afterwards. Just felt like I needed to stand up for the hard work we put into a game like LoF.

One thing you will quickly learn about game development when it comes to trying to get recognized is that no one, even in a situation like this, is obligated to "stand up" for your work except for yourself. There are tons of people, not just in game development, but in any aspiration - music, sports, acting, etc - who put in the hours and feel like they deserve to be noticed, but don't get recognition. This is no different than the guys you see on the side of the street trying to sell you their new mixtape or your coworker inviting you to come see their band play a show later on that day.

They've put the same amount of hours you invested in LoF into whatever their craft is, but how often do you buy CDs from the guy standing outside McDonald's? How many local indie bands do you spend time trying to support? You probably don't give a shit, and you don't have to and it works both ways. I'm not saying Lummox doesn't care, but even if he didn't, you have to realize there's 7.4 billion people on this planet who all want to succeed. It's not their responsibility to make sure you get "recognized" for your work. You want recognition? That's cool, I want recognition too. So do several other people on this website. So do thousands of other people among indie game communities. So do millions of other people outside of our one medium.

When it's all said and done, you're just another guy trying to stand out in a crowd of other people aspiring to be standouts. You are not the only person in existence with an ambition. When you take the next step to promote your game offsite, it might become an overnight success, or people might not give a shit about it at all for a long time. Either way, you can't get pissed off and start raging and ranting. That's what I did and look where it got me. I am almost positive if I had not given up on promoting some of my work on this site years ago, I would've made several thousand dollars here instead of just ~$200.

Relax. You say you believe that your game is comparable to Lux and Severed World, but what you have to remember is that the responsibility - the one of believing in yourself and your work - is YOUR responsibility. You have to believe in it even if everyone around you stops believing in it, and you can't go on a rant whenever you feel like you deserve this thing or that thing and it doesn't immediately fall in your lap. The only thing you can do is work and believe. Everyone else's opinion is beyond your control so time spent stressing about it is time wasted. This is why people hate Kanye West. Kanye is the type of guy who works on something really hard and then DEMANDS everyone in the world to drop what they're doing to recognize and like what he's doing, throw money his way and make him successful.

Don't be Kanye.
Yut Put wrote:
this thread made no sense until i logged out to see all the pager banned comments. never change, byond. keep getting pissed at the slightest trip of semantics

So much hypocrisy in the comment you just made.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Congratulations, Yut!

I'll let you know what I think of the game when I finally buy it during a Steam Sale, haha.

But that requires playing it. Who actually plays games they buy during Steam sales? Not me that's for sure.
The promised stable release is now up.