ID:2087451
 
TL;DR: Getting your game on steam is just as easy as getting a hub for it on BYOND.

Look at that sentence. Think about it.

Alright, so intro: Things are finally starting to settle down a bit with my steam release. By this I mean that it feels less like a manic anxious struggle and more like a smooth, easy ride. This is either due to the fact that player issues have calmed down or because I'm just used to doing constant PR now.

I've always planned to get another game on Steam after Epoch; most who talked to me wouldn't be surprised at all by this. But one thing I should point out, after having been through the brimstone: it's really easy.

To be completely honest, the only thing stopping you from having a game on steam and making a wad of cash from it is whether or not you make a good game.

There's a silent stigma attached to Steam that implies shipping through it is difficult, I think. And I'm making this brief post to pierce that veil and just clearly say that if you can make a BYOND hub, you can manage a steam store. The only hard part is making a fun game to begin with, lol
You might toss out all the shit you learned from launching as well. Those little tips/tricks you picked up that are helping keep your reviews positive.

You know, like: "Don't rely on BYOND developers to give you feedback. They are used to the shitty things that BYOND games do, like alert() and input() boxes. If you do these, 100% of people are going to walk away from your game the minute they see them." and: "Don't have multiple windows for your UI. Your entire game needs to be in ONE window or people will instantly turn it off."
As far as I know you need to pay $100 in order to appear on Steam, right? Nevertheless, that isn't a limitation, any good game would receive enough support to cover that initial cost, specially when you know you'll get more if it's published.
You say "just make a good game" like it's easy. If it was we'd have lots of them around here already.
ANY game would make that $100 back. Even if it's just a button that says: "You win!".
I'm pretty sure Steam literally has games where all you do is click something. But yeah, if you get a game greenlit, $100 isn't much, it's probably 10 sales (don't you need like 10,000 or was it 100,000 likes to even get greenlit?)
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
You say "just make a good game" like it's easy. If it was we'd have lots of them around here already.

Not everyone making games here are doing it for those reasons (to be commercial or appeal to a crowd).

Ter13 said:
You might toss out all the shit you learned from launching as well. Those little tips/tricks you picked up that are helping keep your reviews positive.

This would be cool.

Yut Put said:
Alright, so intro: Things are finally starting to settle down a bit with my steam release. By this I mean that it feels less like a manic anxious struggle and more like a smooth, easy ride. This is either due to the fact that player issues have calmed down or because I'm just used to doing constant PR now.

I imagine most of your PR has to do with answering/responding to emails and checking Steam reviews? Anything I may have left out?
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
You say "just make a good game" like it's easy. If it was we'd have lots of them around here already.

quote from this post:
" The only hard part is making a fun game to begin with, lol"

i didn't know it was possible to say "make a fun game" like it's easy by saying "the only hard part is making a fun game"
Yut Put wrote:
To be completely honest, the only thing stopping you from having a game on steam and making a wad of cash from it is whether or not you make a good game.

kek