ID:2090402

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
I have a weather system in my game that I recently converted from utilizing area to client.screen (recommended by a fellow dev)-- because I'm a stickler for detail, I have a raindrop splash effect that I want to appear on random turfs all over the map while it's raining. I know HOW to code it, but the problem is that "for looping" over all of the turfs in the world causes visible lag. I tried to relegate it to just show up on 1 type of tile and still the same result. The only other way I can think of doing it is to create a bunch of screen objects at random screen_locs but that just seems so...yuck. I like clean, efficient code.

Is there a better way that won't cause overhead?
What's the loop that's causing all that lag?

Also, IMO client.screen won't perform any better than areas for this purpose, unless your rain overlay is a fairly large image.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
What's the loop that's causing all that lag?

for loop for every turf in world, and then applying the visual at a prob of 33%. Experimented with objs, overlays, and even creating the visual at runtime to be applied later but every way caused a short lag spike

Also, IMO client.screen won't perform any better than areas for this purpose, unless your rain overlay is a fairly large image.

Yeah I actually didn't notice a performance difference tbh, but I do like that I don't have to have to paint a bunch of area on my map lol

Using the client's screen in this way seems like alot more work than just using anything else :P
In response to SolarOblivion
Putting rain on every turf is definitely not the way to go. Put it only on turfs the players might actually see.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Using the client's screen in this way seems like alot more work than just using anything else :P

Actually quite simple thanks to being able to set screen_loc from southwest to northeast. Just paints the rain icon over the screen nice and easy

In response to SolarOblivion
Best response
SolarOblivion wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:

Actually quite simple thanks to being able to set screen_loc from southwest to northeast. Just paints the rain icon over the screen nice and easy

But as I mentioned in today's developement news post, I discovered the code that handles that is really, really outdated and in need of some TLC. It's liable to cause a performance hit.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Putting rain on every turf is definitely not the way to go. Put it only on turfs the players might actually see.

That's the thing though-- players could be anywhere in the game, you know? I'm at least saving myself a different headache by having weather illogically change for everyone, everywhere.
When it's raining, just have a simple loop. Every tick, pick a player at random who's in a rainy area, then pick a random turf in range of them. If it's rainable and a certain random threshold is met, add a raindrop there.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
When it's raining, just have a simple loop. Every tick, pick a player at random who's in a rainy area, then pick a random turf in range of them. If it's rainable and a certain random threshold is met, add a raindrop there.

Hmmm clever. I'll try that, thanks.