I said innovative lol
Here's an article by Wired today explaining exactly what I said yesterday about how Blizzard's game design choices in Overwatch combat the "deathmatch" attitude most players take into... games that aren't deathmatches.

http://www.wired.com/2016/05/ overwatch-the-rare-positive-shooter/

That moment when some random guy on Wired knows more about game design than people who spent years on a game design website.
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
Dare I say?

ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL

Anyway, why do I have to be innovative for Blizzard to make a good game? If I go to a restaurant and order fish and chips do I have to be a chef to know it tastes like shit?
In response to EmpirezTeam
Troll free online game

That's just babies who can't handle the bantz. You're always going to get trash talking in a online game, and Overwatch has plenty of it.

I should know, I end every one of my games with "gg ez".

I can't read much more of the article because they tell me I'm a bad boy for using adblock.
"We get it: Ads aren’t what you’re here for. But ads help us keep the lights on.
So, add us to your ad blocker’s whitelist or pay $1 per week for an ad-free version of WIRED. Either way, you are supporting our journalism. We’d really appreciate it."

Wired was never good to begin with but holy shit lmao.
For every ad you block, a Tracer forgets to use Recall.

Do the right thing. Save the life of a Tracer. Make a difference today.
In response to The Magic Man
U kno the world cud alwayz uz more heroz.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
Anyway, why do I have to be innovative for Blizzard to make a good game?

You don't. Blizzard made a good game despite the fact that you wouldn't know innovation even if it was stamped on your nuts.

If I go to a restaurant and order fish and chips do I have to be a chef to know it tastes like shit?

The real crime here isn't the fact that the food tastes like shit.

It's the fact that you order fish and chips when you go to restaurants. Poor kid has to purchase the cheapest thing on the menu. Your bank account balance must be as small as your brain. I'll say a prayer for you tonight.
I'm dead.
This guy's a straight up savage. I like it :)
I have to bathe in holy water after reading that.
I'm not above admitting defeat when I'm actually roasted. 10/10 I'll go cry to mommy now.
It's innovative to take old ideas and remove elements from them to casualize a game/genre?

Blizzard has a history of doing this, but it's the first time I've heard people say this is innovation.
I actively don't care about this thread so much it makes me wish there was a "hide thread" feature. It would be way more useful than any of the current options to hide/block/ban people and threads.
The Magic Man wrote:
It's innovative to take old ideas and remove elements from them to casualize a game/genre?

Blizzard has a history of doing this, but it's the first time I've heard people say this is innovation.

It's innovative to release a game that has successfully tackled problems that have plagued other games for years. Did you know that Riot actually employs a team of human behavior researchers to better understand the psychology behind toxicity and how to combat it? Yet, right out of the gate, Overwatch gets it right. That's an exact example of innovation. When you have other companies running around with their heads up their asses clueless as to what the solution is, and another developer fixes it and makes it look easy, that's game design done properly.

You could even make Overwatch more complex by adding back the "removed elements". You could throw in towers, items, and leveling, and there'd still be way less toxicity. Overwatch isn't less of a shitstorm because it's "simple". Call of Duty is the easiest FPS game I've ever played in my life and those players are a bigger group of douchebags than the people in CS:GO, a game which is drastically more complex.

Taking emphasis off kills in a game that isn't really about kills in the first place while every other similar game in existence does is innovation. Dota 2 and League are not death matches either. We saw this when Alliance won the International. A god damn Dream Coil and split push strategy won the tournament, not a rampage.

This video shows exactly what this genre is supposed to be about, and even points out that none of the casters made mention of the strategy he explained in the video. I wonder why. Too busy talking about who killed who, probably. The aspect of the game that more often than not matters the least.

In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
I actively don't care about this thread so much it makes me wish there was a "hide thread" feature. It would be way more useful than any of the current options to hide/block/ban people and threads.

Or you could just not click on "Off Topic".

It's labeled that for a reason.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Popisfizzy wrote:

It's labeled that for a reason.

EmpirezTeam wrote:

But it turns the links yellow. The yellow is bad, the blue is good.
All I'm seeing is you don't like mean people on the internet. This kind of thinking is the reason Riot ban people for saying "gg" after a game has ended.
It's not "toxic" players that are the problem. It's that Riot treats their userbase like literal babies when most of them just need to grow some thicker skin.

I mean, I'm no bigwig human behaviour researcher, but to me it seems like common sense to just let kids learn to deal with this kind of stuff. I mean, I learned to ignore these kinds of people when I was like 5, and trash talking in these games doesn't bother me at all.

Also, I wasn't talking about stuff like removing towers, items and levelling when I mentioned they removed elements from the game.
I was talking about stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAEOiIF8Piw
As in, they removed entire mechanics and casualized the game by giving people a literal rocket jump ability instead of just letting them figure it out on their own.

Honestly, TF2 vs Overwatch is developing a lot like LoL vs DotA 2. One of them is casual and all complex elements and mechanics are removed to attract a bigger audience, and players are being fooled into believing it somehow makes the game better but they can never give an actual concrete explanation why.

Personally I dislike Overwatch (and LoL) specifically because they're simplified to the point that they fail to keep me in the zone. Clearly the developers at Blizzard and Riot don't know a great deal about game theory because they don't understand the relation between challenge and skill level.
http://files.byondhome.com/TheMagicMan/flow.jpg
Picture related. A good game would keep players in the flow channel. I just end up in boredom when I play Overwatch.
The Magic Man wrote:
Clearly the developers at Blizzard and Riot don't know a great deal about game theory because they don't understand the relation between challenge and skill level.

You don't need to understand 'game theory' when your company brings in over a billion dollars a year. I realize that doesn't mean the games are great, but I wouldn't mind putting out a few of those...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7