ID:2093017

As the title says I'm interest in you guys' solid advice for building a respectable map. I've read the threads where Ter13 explains that things in maps need purpose and to keep a template of the tiles used for convenience while building, so I've kept those in mind. Another BYOND member recommended I make my own on Photoshop. Is there any other advice some of you have for map/world creation?

I'm currently working with a ton of downloaded random RPG Maker images tile-ified into .dmi files, so I'm sure there's better approaches lol. You all have more knowledge and experience than me, so everything map or icon related is welcomed. My current goal is to build a busy city in the 1920-1945ish time period. Lamp posts, sidewalks, English bricked/stone roads, shops, telephone booths, etc.
Did you try looking at actual maps of a busy cith in the 1920-1945ish time period?

I recommend looking at new york stuff :D. Can't get any more realistic than well real life amirite?
Real life cities have constraints that games won't have, and don't have constraints that 2D tile-based games do have.

They probably aren't a good resource to start out making game maps. To make a solid map, I think you first need to understand what your game is and how players are going to attack it. If you understand those two things, maps should simply fall out of activities the player will take part in.
In response to Ghost of ET
Ghost of ET wrote:
Did you try looking at actual maps of a busy cith in the 1920-1945ish time period?

I recommend looking at new york stuff :D. Can't get any more realistic than well real life amirite?

Yeah I've looked through several pictures from that time. Haven't tried New York though.

Ter13 wrote:
They probably aren't a good resource to start out making game maps. To make a solid map, I think you first need to understand what your game is and how players are going to attack it. If you understand those two things, maps should simply fall out of activities the player will take part in.

That seems like a good mindset to me. It's a roleplaying game based on the series and a manga Full Metal Alchemist. The only NPCs clothing store owners and barbers as it will fall on the players to take on jobs or roles (military generals, lieutenants, and privates, political leaders of the 3 different countries, fighters, mercenaries, blacksmiths and weaponsmiths, etc.). So I'll definitely keep the relevant buildings and potential player-homes in mind and not have them scattered in random places of the city/cities.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Real life cities have constraints that games won't have, and don't have constraints that 2D tile-based games do have.

Probably right U.U. Only map ive ever made was treasure maps when i was tiny.

Ooo a fullmetal alchemist game :D!! Tell me more :3?
Ghost of ET wrote:
Ooo a fullmetal alchemist game :D!! Tell me more :3?

I could page you about it, or you can checkout the hub a little info (http://www.byond.com/games/Oleic/AlchemistOnline). I'm not an experienced programmer so it's going to take a while to get it all together as I learn more and more things.

In response to Oleic
:o im not an experienced programmer either im also just starting to learn dm's language :D.

Though i could probably make 1 small suggestion to you based on some of the screen shots you have on your hub :] ter may or may not agree with me on this one probably 50/50 chance he may but compact the maps a bit more :P.

Im actually very interested in your real time locomotive system in the more to add section. Im excited to see it in the work and wish you luck with it!

Ghost of ET wrote:
Though i could probably make 1 small suggestion to you based on some of the screen shots you have on your hub :] ter may or may not agree with me on this one probably 50/50 chance he may but compact the maps a bit more :P.

Im actually very interested in your real time locomotive system in the more to add section. Im excited to see it in the work and wish you luck with it!

Thanks for the suggestion. That building is headquarters for the largest known military in that series' world, so it's supposed to be large. Other buildings will be a lot smaller. I'll definitely consider shrinking it if it causes lag or turns out to be too large for the rooms it has inside it.

As for the train... Yeah, that's a work in progress at the moment.
You could emphasis its size through other neat visual effects. For example sake lets say you set a standard that all towns must be exactly 50x50 tiles (unrealistic but its just for example sake)

Well when the player enters the area where the outside area of where the head quarters are have it kinda big enough that the player would be able to move all the way to the edge of the screen and still not see the end of the building. I think that's a neat trick used many times before in games i don't remember because names slip my mind all the time xD.

Ter you know what im talking about... right...?