ID:209362

Keywords: ban, seflban, self
Redundant
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
I tried to ban myself while hosting a game, but it does not work. Why have the option to ban yourself if this does not work?
That wouldn't be an 'option' to ban yourself if Dream Daemon is preventing yourself from being banned.

In other words, I say it works just as intended :)
But your name shows up in the ban list, but you are not really banned. =/
If you are banned via Dream Daemon, you will be able to join connecting through the localhost address (byond://localhost:port, or byond://127.0.0.1:port), aka through the "Join the world with Dream Seeker" button on the world tab of Daemon.

If you, however, try to join the way regular players join (byond://externalip:port), you will be denied access, and not be able to join because you're banned.

It all depends how you join your own world; joining 'locally' will allow you to bypass your own Daemon ban; using the external IP to join will not.
So that just adds another reason why you should not be able to ban yourself, yet also goes against it saying you can bypass it....
I don't see why it's such a big deal. It's there. You CAN ban yourself. Having the BYOND staff remove the ban feature when you hilight yourself would be a waste of time, time that could be used on more important things, such as solving world hunger.

I can actually think of reasons to ban yourself, kind of strange, but yeah.
Lets say, someone else has access to your account, but they don't live with you. (Family member, friend, etc) You're the administrator of a game you are hosting. If you ban that key, they won't be able to join the game under your key and use your power. However, you'd be able to join the game locally, and block out errybody else who you share a key with, as long as they are not on the same network as you.

If somebody else has access to your account, wouldn't you just change your password?
I don't mean has access as in forcefully gained access. Sharing an account with a brother, friend, etc.
Why not just make them get their own account. -_- You are not even supposed to do that anyway! No one should give out their password.
In response to BlueLightningSamurai
BlueLightningSamurai wrote:
Why not just make them get their own account. -_-
Because some people don't know how to make multiple emails, somehow. Don't ask me. I just know people do that.

You are not even supposed to do that anyway! No one should give out their password.
"not even supposed", "no one should"
Yet, people still do. It's not really against the rules to give out your password or share your account. It's suggested not to, but eh. It's done.
Still, it's not that hard to just make an account. There might be a very limited number of exceptions, but those don't really matter ATM.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
I don't see why it's such a big deal. It's there. You CAN ban yourself. Having the BYOND staff remove the ban feature when you hilight yourself would be a waste of time, time that could be used on more important things, such as solving world hunger.

With that kind of an attitude nothing would ever get done. This should only require the addition of an if statement and a call to make open a new dialog informing the user they can't ban themselves.

I can actually think of reasons to ban yourself, kind of strange, but yeah.

Such as?

Lets say, someone else has access to your account, but they don't live with you. (Family member, friend, etc)

Nobody should have access to your account; it's the reason they call it your account.

You're the administrator of a game you are hosting. If you ban that key, they won't be able to join the game under your key and use your power.

But they will be able to cause trouble outside of your server...

However, you'd be able to join the game locally, and block out errybody else who you share a key with, as long as they are not on the same network as you.

If you are sharing a key then you're likely to be on the same network as the person you're sharing it with. If you're not then I don't think the act of sharing was mutual.

IMO if it confuses people and can easily be prevented then just write the if statement and be done with it. Leaving trivial issues like these open for debate won't get us anywhere.
Ter13 resolved issue (Redundant)