ID:2095839

Not a bug
BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 50.0.2661.102
Applies to:DM Language

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Not sure if this has been posted already, I do see a lot of things here about images not appearing. When upgrading to the new version of BYOND, my games HUD stopped working completely. My client.screen.len was filled as usual so the obj's were being added properly, however not showing on screen.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Shown below in code snippets

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
Here's how my character creation finishes and starts the hud
        finish()

p.hud = new(p)

And here's how they're created
HUD
var
player/p
obj/hudbar/health/player_health
obj/hudbar/chakra/player_chakra
obj/hudbar/exp/player_exp
obj/hudbar/lvlFirstDigit/player_firstDigit //for the level on screen display
obj/hudbar/lvlSecondDigit/player_secondDigit
obj/portrait
obj/hotslot[10]

New(var/player/newP)
p = newP
getPortrait()
getHudBar()
getActionIcons()
getHotbar()
getPlayerLevelHUD()
p.interface = new(p)
p.inv = new(p)

Expected Results:
Hud on screen

Actual Results:
client.screen list full of hud but nothing on screen

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? I have an older version of the game that adds the objs onto the client screen individually and the HUD appears in that version. Must be something with how I'm creating the objs and adding them
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
When downgrading to the last version of BYOND

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) Last version of 509

Workarounds:
Downgrading BYOND
Between 509 and 510 there were changes in how screen objects were interlayered with the map, please refer to the release notes for more information on how to update your code to properly handle the changes.
What is the layering like for your HUD, and your regular map? Any use of planes or the special layers like BACKGROUND_LAYER?

There was a change in 510 that changed the way HUD objects are layered on the map; they no longer interlayer with regular objects. Although I would expect the HUD to move forward in this case, I'm sure that has to be it.

If you send me the source I can take a look myself to confirm.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
What is the layering like for your HUD, and your regular map? Any use of planes or the special layers like BACKGROUND_LAYER?

There was a change in 510 that changed the way HUD objects are layered on the map; they no longer interlayer with regular objects. Although I would expect the HUD to move forward in this case, I'm sure that has to be it.

If you send me the source I can take a look myself to confirm.

I was talking with someone else who knew about the update and I don't believe I have any planes, I'll let you take a look just to be on the safe side.
Are there any special instructions I should know about to get to a point where the HUD doesn't work? E.g., going through character creation a certain way, or snything like that?
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
I found it. BACKGROUND_LAYER now applies to topdown games in version 510. You're using a ridiculously high layer for your HUD, so BACKGROUND_LAYER is being turned on. Change the layer to something reasonable and the problem with disappear.

Just FYI, I found a lot of usr abuse in the game, even in New() procs. You'll save yourself a lot of misery if you take a little time to fix that.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I found it. BACKGROUND_LAYER now applies to topdown games in version 510. You're using a ridiculously high layer for your HUD, so BACKGROUND_LAYER is being turned on. Change the layer to something reasonable and the problem with disappear.

Ah well that's reasonable, thank you Lummox!

Just FYI, I found a lot of usr abuse in the game, even in New() procs. You'll save yourself a lot of misery if you take a little time to fix that.

Hahaha should've known you'd notice that, you're right I do need to revise those procs.