ID:2096117

Poll: Is BYOND engine strong enough to make a 3D game

Yes it is 14% (4)
No it isn't 74% (20)
Yes *write in comment why* 0% (0)
No *write in the comment why* 11% (3)

Login to vote.

So is it strong enough or not?

Just subject to make developers comment and share what they think about byond engine
BYOND was and will never be made to create 3D games, it's designed solely for 2D games. While pseudo-3D games like the original DOOM can be done (see Dawncaster), they'd probably never be viable in a multiplayer environment.

So, no. BYOND isn't and never will be able to handle actual 3D. Best you're gonna do is hacky raycasters and the sort.

still working on this, haven't been able to recently with a lot on my plate.
The idea is to allow BYOND devs to be able to assign 3d models the same way you can assign icons. Still a ways to go, but way past the realm of possibility.
Just use Unity for 3D.

BYOND was designed with making multiplayer 2D Dungeon crawlers quickly in mind. Everything else has been added at the request of the users, but truly the language is probably going to hit its ceiling soon.
While pseudo-3D games like the original DOOM can be done (see Dawncaster)

Hi! I'm the guy that developed Dawncaster!

The original doom wouldn't even be possible in BYOND. D4rK3 and I have both delved into performing 3D polygonal rendering in BYOND using lots of trig to fake 4x4 matrix transformations out of affine transforms.

There is zero chance that you are going to get anything resembling a 3D game running to any standard of playability in BYOND.

Don't bother. If this is your goal, there are better tools out there to get it done with much less knowledge.

Also, Dawncaster is not a Doom-like, it is actually a wolfenstein-like. It is impossible to do floor or ceiling casting, and BSP calculations can be done to speed up rendering, but the lack of 4x4 transformation matrices and lack of UV coordinates for polygons makes anything even remotely resembling Doom's engine impossible in BYOND.

I should note that it is possible to do true, native 3D within a Dreamseeker window using HTML5. However, BYOND is going to just get in your way. It would be easier and just plain better to write your game in native JS if you were going to go down this road.
Yeah, I pretty much put the WebGL Support Library on hold due to rather interesting issues involving browsers unable to initialize everything at the state my project is at. Especially a problem on Firefox (not so much on Google Chrome). Of course, it is unloadable on Internet Explorer/Edge.

If anyone is curious to test that out, I have a build that hasn't been done for some time. glMatrix will be required to compile the demo included with it.

Edit: Here y'all go, an early build of the WebGL Support Library. This could change at any time.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24250760/BYOND/ Test%20Versions/WebGL%20Support%20Early%20Build%201.zip
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
So, no. BYOND isn't and never will be able to handle actual 3D. Best you're gonna do is hacky raycasters and the sort.

Just for funsies

2/10 would not recommend.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
to fake 4x4 matrix transformations out of affine transforms.

What the hell is "faking" matrix transformations? If it transforms like a matrix it is a matrix as far as anything is concerned.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
What the hell is "faking" matrix transformations? If it transforms like a matrix it is a matrix as far as anything is concerned.

This is what he's talking about:

Say you have a planar triangle in 3-space, which is then projected onto your 2d screen. If you have some known triangle (like a right triangle) as your texture, and you transform it so that it has the same shape as the aforementioned projected triangle, you get the affine result shown. This is what BYOND is pretty much limited to.

To achieve the correct result, you need the fuck with the texture interpolation and some other things.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
So it's not even faking a 4x4 matrix, just using a 3x3 affine matrix? Unless I'm missing something.
Oh. The projection of a 3d point onto a 2d plane is done by multiplying a 4x4 matrix with a 4d vector for the point, [x y z 1]. The 4x4 matrix represents both the viewpoint's position and rotation.

[EDIT]: It's finals week and I am mega sleep deprived. Not sure how I made the connection with my previous post and 4x4 matrices. time to knock out.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

Just for funsies

2/10 would not recommend.

That is amazing. Not sure how you did it (I'm scared to even ask) but holy moly.