Land of Fire

by Pixelcomet
Land of Fire
An atmospheric, anime inspired role playing game.
ID:2096440

Hey guys, back again with another late devlog (although at this point they might as well be the normal scheduling now). This week, we're packed with loads of sparky gifs that might even brighten your day more than they do the maps.

Last week I mentioned that there was one fire technique missing, and here it is.

Inferno
Blast fire into the Earth to create a column of fire underneath marked area.

And here's a gif showing off a few fire techniques in a scene.

So that takes care of fire elements for Wards pretty much for now. Before I get into the lightning techniques I want to share this video of me using fire techniques to defeat the dark forest mini boss Yamone and his evil henchmen. I was even able to get the video running in HD!

I've started posting gifs with the dark forest scene visible. The team and I felt it would help make the techniques stand out a little more as they should when the game releases.

Lightning Techniques

Zap

Fires a bolt of lightning towards the cursor. If there is a second enemy nearby the lightning bolt jumps to them dealing half of the initial damage.

Tesla Burst

An electrical current erupts from the player dealing electrical damage to all targets nearby. This is a channeled attack that lasts as long you hold it. If enemies stay within the zone for 3 seconds, they are stunned but may not be stunned by the technique for another 5 seconds.

Distortion Field

Creates an area of electrical distortion. Slows and deals damage over time.

Volt Cannon

Fires a narrow beam of electricity that pierces and stuns whatever it passes through for 1 second. The technique can be reactivated once more to pierce enemies a second time, cancelling the stun but dealing damage based on the initial damage. The earlier the technique is reactivated, the more of that damage it deals.

There's still a lot of polish that the lightning techniques need to go through, and they still don't deal any type of damage yet, but that'll be taken care of this week.

Zane has been working steadily on the new town map soon to occupy the world of LoF.

This is an early interpretation and actually not the newest version I can get a hold of at the moment. We'll share the newest one on the next devlog.

SulLight has been hard at work on the next concept art, this next one being for the Rogue class. Here's an early sketch of what he has so far.

That'll be all for this week fellas! We'll be wrapping up Wards this week with Earth elemental skills being the last of their abilities (for now). If we get a chance we might even be able to show some Rogue class stuff next week. We're moving along pretty nicely this month, so keep your eyes peeled on the status of the game!
The perspective on the town map thing makes me nauseated. Loving the lightning techniques.
First thought:

"Ohhh no water element? :( "

I have a crucial question: What happens if there is many aoes on the same spot? Lets say 3-4 different elemental pillars from the ground.
Second, it all looks so flashy, is it going to place a burden on pcs - aka laggs? I feel like 50 people on a map spamming these might jeopardise stability.

How is the mana pool going to be? Will you be able to spamm skills like in the video without any sort of mana management?

__
I really like the elemental part of this class so far. Your animations are great the the Jutsus seem to have lots of diverse concepts with great animations.
Correct me if Im wrong but this class seems to be high damage/utility but low crowd control to balance it off, right?

__
The buildings look great. I also like the stairs! Zane is doing work and he seems to take his inspirations from feudal japan right? I like what Im seeing so far. Maybe this town will top Konoha ;)
The perspective is your standard 3/4ths but the objects are turned at an angle.

You won't be able to spam abilities to the extent that we show in the gifs. Most abilities at this point have no cooldowns for testing purposes.

This also goes for the chakra/mana aspect. Hardly any drain so we can test various mechanics. It's easier to break things this way and also makes fixing them clearer for us.

Wards are a class of mostly long range damage dealers with some utility to keep more agile enemies off their boots. Compare to rogues, wards have a little less mobility so when it comes down to it our second class will be centered around getting up in the enemies face and beating them to a pulp, whereas wards would want to stay at the backline and out of reach to be most effective.

On paper, it's as simple as:
*Wards are weak up close but excel in long range skirmishes.

*Rogues are weaker at range and excel in close quarters.

First of all, Great Job guys!! i'm loving it! i really hope that you guys don't make the classes gender locked because i realized that some mmos have been doing that lately and i am not a big fan of it. I really like the design on the map that Zane is working on but what i'm interested and exited to see is how you guys use an isometric map in the game.
It's not isometric, it's your standard top down rpg perspective. The only thing different here is that the objects themselves are drawn at an angle. The camera is still 3/4ths.

Reason I'm doing this is because I'm trying to make attempts in adding some modern pixel elements to the game.
In response to Johnjo10
Johnjo10 wrote:
i really hope that you guys don't make the classes gender locked because i realized that some mmos have been doing that lately and i am not a big fan of it.

I'm not sure what Zane's plan in the regard is, but I'm very sure the classes will not be gender locked.
im loving these skills.
will there be a skill for each element? for example-fire,water,air,wind,earth
At this moment there's only lightning fire and earth. Once we get to a certain point in development we intent to expand on these.
Tesla Burst

I mentioned this in the Skype group but this name really irks me. This game is set in a period that was clearly far before the age of Telsa and it makes no sense to have his name in a lightning ability. Arguably speaking, the term 'volt' is also wrong, but I'd let that one slide if at least Tesla was changed.

In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
Tesla Burst

I mentioned this in the Skype group but this name really irks me. This game is set in a period that was clearly far before the age of Telsa and it makes no sense to have his name in a lightning ability. Arguably speaking, the term 'volt' is also wrong, but I'd let that one slide if at least Tesla was changed.

Reasonable point, I'll see what we come up with Names aren't really anything we're attached to at this point.
Volt Cannon looks like a web shot. Still dope though.
In response to Xyberman
Xyberman wrote:
Volt Cannon looks like a web shot. Still dope though.

Currently working on fixing them, no way am i going to let these icons slide ...
In response to Pixelcomet
impressive! keep up with the good work
Now that's what I call some good looking flames >:)!
everything looks fucking great, nice