ID:2101451

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
Hey,rip is a game that you dont made from very start right?
I have a fillers that the creator of a game left on byond before he quit. Actually there has no one hosting it.Then he gave everyone permission to host and make changes into it?
What negative can come if I edit a RIP(or not) without creator permission(or not) and put it on-line?
I already saw a lot rip servers.
It's only a rip if the owner didn't give permission, if he said it's okay then it should just be a continuation of the original.
If it's not a fan game and u have to ask then probably
If it is a fan game who cares either way its illegal
Best response
A game is a rip if both of the following are true:

1) It is one of several copies from the original source, or an unauthorized copy.

2) It uses a different hub entry than the original.

For instance, if Alice gives out her source and four new hub entries spring up based on it, those are rips.

If Alice gives her source to only Bob, to continue on the same hub entry, it is not a rip.

If Alice gives her source to only Bob, and he moves it to his own hub entry but the original closes down, it's not a rip.

If people figure out how to recreate ExAdv1's source and host hundreds of variations under the same hub entry with his blessing, those games are not rips.

(But to answer your original question, BYOND does not police rips. That's really not feasible.)
In response to Zagros5000
Oh thanks,im keeping it on the original hub if the password still correct lummoxJR@

@Zagros ,how I can know if the game dont is heavly based into a serie/anime?
Like you are making a game based into bleach right? but it is only based or made for fans?
In response to SoulGamesProductions
SoulGamesProductions wrote:
@Zagros ,how I can know if the game dont is heavly based into a serie/anime?
Like you are making a game based into bleach right? but it is only based or made for fans?

"Based on" means it uses their intellectual property, so that has no distinction from "made for fans", as you put it.

"Inspired by" means that people familiar with the material may see similarities and parallels, and can see how inspiration was drawn from the original IP, but it's not actually the same in any meaningful way.

If you do the latter very well, you'll attract the same fans. If your goal is to evoke the feeling of the original without treading on their toes, fans will still like it for feeling like the original, but they'll love it even more for making that feeling work with a different setting, characters, lore, etc.
In response to Lummox JR
That means it is correct to do inspired by games?
In response to SoulGamesProductions
SoulGamesProductions wrote:
That means it is correct to do inspired by games?

Depends... if you make something like this I would say it's not cool. Most people just change some names and consider it "original", when it's clearly using a lot of ideas and icons that clearly imitate some animes. But I don't know if it's legal.
My game isnt inspired it is a fangame, for now atleast
Everything up to straight ripping copyrighted characters and story elements, art, music, and code that you didn't make and you don't have a license for is fair game.

Being too derivative is generally a poor choice, but just taking inspiration is obviously fine.

Basically, don't listen to just about anyone on BYOND about what is good or bad practice as far as derivatives are concerned. People shit on Epoch for being a ripoff and totally ignore Mystic Douche Chronicles even though it's straight using copyrighted character likenesses. Legend of the Mystic crybaby is about as close to illegal as you can legally get. Even then, it isn't a rip because the guy made it all himself.
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:
My game isnt inspired it is a fangame, for now atleast

My bad, I thought it was inspired when I checked the name