ID:2107192

Hi I just thought Lummox might want to know that when registering a new account it took like 15 minutes for my verification email to come through.
That's pretty slow I'm not sure if you have any control over that but it could be very annoying for new members who just want to register and play quickly.

Also what if they could play without email verification, and just put a captcha? That would be even MORE convenient for new members.
As with any automated e-mail system there's the possibility that it can take time for verification emails to arrive, it's just a matter of what's going on with both the sending and receiving systems. That's why most websites that require email validation note that it can take upwards of 24-48 hours for the email to arrive because there's not much you can do about delivery times once the thing is fired off.

For instance, I just tried it and I got the validation in under a minute, I'm guessing the pipes were just a bit clogged when you created the account.
It has to be a function of your email provider. BYOND sends the email immediately.
Okay that's cool but the idea for using a captcha still stands.
Verification emails are getting pretty old school
Verification emails are still very common, they're to make sure the account has a verified means of communication, especially if the account becomes compromised.
I like reddit's model for this.

Email is optional, but you'll get nagged until you add it, captchas all over the place until you add it

Verification is optional but you'll get nagged until you do it, captchas all over the place until you do it.

I have always found it annoying when i have to switch what i'm doing, move to a new tab, open gmail, click a link, and then go back to my new tab and hope the site takes me back to whatever it was I was trying to do before getting a "You need to register" prompt.
Spammers and griefers won't care about nags, so that model won't work here.