ID:2107400

Resolved
The server did not properly send info to reset the client's "interesting" turfs when the map size changed.
BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 51.0.2704.103
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Sometimes areas will not load up properly or will get mixed up with other /area properties like this next picture i'm going to show.

http://files.byondhome.com/DarkerEmerald/area%20bug%202.png

I debugged this area that's out of place is /area/inside but has image/overlay property's linked to /area/outside. The only way I know to fix this issue is to place light over it and it just goes away which is just weird.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
- None to reproduce it as it's hard to replicate it but when it does show up its weird.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
- Area should not be tied with other image/overlay properties of other areas.

Actual Results:
- Areas somehow intertwine with other areas showing there image/overlay properties.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
- So far it has.
In other games?
- Not sure.
In other user accounts?
- Yes, its been reported by many of my players and happens in different spots to each person.
On other computers?
Yes, its been reported by many of my players and happens in different spots to each person.

When does the problem NOT occur?
- So far its been there since I put the game up.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
I'll try a few different versions until I don't see it.
Workarounds:
Just place light over it which is basic lighting blend functions.

Are you able to get this to happen consistently in your project? If so, can you get me a copy and show me exactly where to go and what to do to see it in action?
I can't tell what's wrong in that screenshot. But regardless, I need a test case for this. There's nothing I can investigate without a test case.
Been up all night trying different versions with no success to replicate it. Its such a weird and difficult one to replicate and have no idea what to do at this point. It gets worse the longer you are logged in overtime but a simple relog does fix it. Any who ill keep trying.

http://files.byondhome.com/DarkerEmerald/1.png
http://files.byondhome.com/DarkerEmerald/scrnshot133.png

These spots in the game get worse overtime and start showing everywhere the longer I am logged in the game. I tried to debug these locations and also tried to delete everything in these locations, move/create a new area/turf to move in these spots with no luck. Seems the only way to get rid of them is to place an object with blend_mode = BLEND_ADD and alpha = 255 on these spots or log in and out and there gone.

Ideas lummox? I'm stumped as to recreating this in a test environment.
No ideas at all. I can do nothing without a test case.
Started working on this again and have narrowed it down to linux communicating with the client. I will have that test environment ready for you soon but it will need to be tested while connected to a linux server which is the only way to produce this image bug.
That doesn't sound right; Linux shouldn't behave any differently from the Windows server. But I guess we'll see.
I know, but its the reason why it took me this long to actually reproduce it. As far as linux and the client go, everyone connected to the server see the exact same thing when it does occur until you log out and back in. But those who did not log out and back in still see it while the person who did log in and out does not. Anyways ill have it ready asap.
Any chance you might be able to narrow down when this started, too?
Its always been there since the release of the blend and appearance functions. The only reason I think my game has the issue is because it loads and unloads maps so were talking loading and deleting z levels. Something gets choked up somewhere and it ends up loading the appearance of 1 area onto another.

Question: Would you be able to trace this bug if I sent you the entire source code? All you would have to do is run it on linux, connect to the game and sit for maybe 1-3 rounds than spectate the game. I've done all I can to debug this issue. I've tried to delete and clear all overlays and underlays and movable atoms in these bugged locations. Clearing the areas overlays and underlays and clearing the client.images and client.screen but it will not go away.
Debugging in Linux is very difficult for me; I suspect I won't have any luck with it.
Alright I managed to get it working on my windows without linux through trial and error. Would you be able to trace the problem with the source code? My source is pretty big.
Assuming it can happen reliably and the project doesn't choke the debugger when it runs in the server, I would think so.
Alright man i've managed to get it to happen consistently. I will be sending my source as well as instructions on what to do in a bit.
Sent check your messages
Alright lummox the bug started happening in this version http://www.byond.com/download/build/510/510.1330_byond.exe but before that it never did. I hope everything I supplied is enough to fix the issue.
Awesome. Thanks for that info. I should be able to take a look at what changed in 1330; that was shortly after the big-icon update, but it probably had more to do with a change to the way images were handled if I remember correctly.
I took a look at your demo project, but I haven't managed to reproduce the glitches you saw at all. I followed your instructions to the letter: I used the debug verb, waited for the maps to load, and then went out through the doors. I never saw any tiles showing full brightness like the ones shown in your screenshots.

I wonder if there's a video card issue in play, that maybe some tiles on the lighting plane have full transparency instead of being opaque and black, and maybe that's behaving differently between our systems. Except I have no idea why any tiles in the lighting plane would be transparent.

Can you point out which parts of your code control the lighting, and in particular any special cases like maybe objects that might use subtractive blending?
Damn that makes things even harder to find it. I'm all up to date with my graphics card but I'll look again. I know this is happening to other people as well and we see the same glitch at the same site while some people don't notice it so I don't know at this point.

All the stuff related to the lighting can be found in light_n_darkness.dm.
Page: 1 2 3