Land of Fire

by Pixelcomet
Land of Fire
An atmospheric, anime inspired role playing game.
ID:2112075

Salutations my most favorite people ever! Hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July, BBQ'd lots of food. I had a well deserved break away from the city, but its back to the old grind! This week also marks 30 consecutive devlogs, so Cheers! This week also marks 1 full year of development! Back to when LoF was nothing more than a nude player base running into pixel collisions at 10 FPS!

Unfortunately the holidays have set me back so there aren't any magnificent combat updates this week. However, I was able to get some work done on the login screen which I showed a couple devlogs back. This was way back actually, and it was time to start putting it into play. The idea here is to always create something memorable. The player should always be amazed no matter what system it is we're working in. The login screen is something I personally want the player to be able to instantly recognize it's from LoF and also make it something that stands out on its own. This is a small prototype containing images of the only two classes currently in game. If you don't recognize the one on the left, that's because you haven't seen that one yet! That is the current Rogue class splash art in action! You can check out the image below.

However, SulLight and I have decided it would be better to just create a custom animation in the beginning rather than have the characters show up. This is what it looks like without the characters.

This will be improved upon this week, including a working prototype of the login system itself.

In other news, I was able to whip this system out yesterday. We finally have an onscreen GUI showing hotkeys and their cooldowns upon use. Further customization will be added onto this such as being able to assign skills and keys because right now they're just fixed to your class. Awesome skill art courtesy of SulLight.

Luckily I'm the only one who thinks vacationing is cool, and Zane has been working TIRELESSLY on the new maps, and I gotta say, with each one he shows off, I get more and more excited to play on them!

You can catch more of these on our twitter. We post them before devlogs so you'll be able to see them early.

And finally, as I've mentioned earlier, SulLight is completing the splash art for the Rogue class. This is what it currently looks like.

We'll have a lot more to show next week. By the way, for those of you who like to follow social media, we've recently started an instagram so feel free to follow us on there!
I love what you guys are doing with the intro and those fire animations are gorgeous but please do not use that tile set. Compared to your other work, that environment looks really generic and rushed. At first I thought it was one of the game-maker free tile sets you guys were using as place holder. I know it may be too late now but I would really suggest redoing it with a bit more passion.
Well I guess that's a matter of personal preferences. But there's been a ton of effort put into the assets themselves so I wouldn't exactly say they're lacking passion. As I continue to work on these though They're ending up better as I go so naturally the ones I'm not happy with will be updated eventually.

Rather than the tiles themselves I'm more focused on the world building aspect- That is getting solid ideas onto paper and molding it all together. The only environment we showed prior to this was the dark forest and we're just about done with that area. It might just need a little adjusting to and have some finer details added that breaks up the repetitiveness.

Thanks for taking the time voice your opinion.

I for one can see great effort put into the textures. Just a few suggestions:
- Have a few grass blades on the edge of the cliffs hanging over the rocky underneath.
- Create a "dithering" effect where the grass meets the sand. So it's not just a quick change, but somewhat gradual.
- There are plants that can grow in sand.
- I think I'm in love with that color pallet for the water.
The opening animation is very well done, but almost every repeat player will want to skip it, as it just makes it take longer to play.
In response to Pixelcomet
Pixelcomet wrote:
It might just need a little adjusting to and have some finer details added that breaks up the repetitiveness.

Yeah I thought this could be the case too, I think the repetitiveness and the edges of the tiles are really what throws me off. I'm sure as you go you'll add on to it and polish it up. And it's no problem at all, this is the only project on here right now that I really like and I truly wish you guys the best.
An option the cancel the animation is still very possible.
I would like to see Land of Fire written on top of that animation in a red font ;)

Zane is a god - I love his maps. I kind of hope there are some small animated animals wandering around the beautiful scenery -georgeous.
I hope there going to be more light grassy maps/forest - they are especially outstanding.

- Are you going to have a weather system? if yes, would it influence some jutsus with amplyfying effects?

- Can you walk across water/ jump over broken bridges?

- Can Sullight give me an autograph?

Happy Development-Anniversary
Good work, happy anniversary!
We would like to play around with weather at some point. Once we start implementing these Map interactions also go in so yes.
In response to Exentriks Gaming
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
I love what you guys are doing with the intro and those fire animations are gorgeous but please do not use that tile set. Compared to your other work, that environment looks really generic and rushed. At first I thought it was one of the game-maker free tile sets you guys were using as place holder. I know it may be too late now but I would really suggest redoing it with a bit more passion.
i sorta agree im kinda thrown off it personally feel as though im looking at a whole different game now, the rock texture is fine but something about the colors and the grass seem a little bit rushed and it throws off the style to me. perfect your craft i know zane is better than that no need to rush just put your heart into every single pixel of those leafs and environment, but id like to see a change in color deff cause some of the colors are just weird and dull and some just dont match i wanna see everything transition smoothly you guys can do it i have faith yall came this far!
guys. love everything so far, but I never asked what end - game is going to be like.. Will we be performing against other villages in games/war events for points that reset often, or fighting against other villages to claim plots of land that village kages can build upon, like seige defenses and weaponry. will we be doing missions to farm for gear to use in these so called pvp village raid events.

Just a thought.

Would be cool, if there was a map or instanced area, that had claimable land, each village has their own set of land, and over the course of a few days, etc etc. we fight to take over points and land to imrove the areas our villages can build in that location. Kage's can delegate roles to people and allow them to build as well, etc etc. Lots of ideas for end. game. tht will take time, but this game is expansive and takes time anay so i figured why not go for the gold you know. whats the idea for end game?!
With the feedback I've gotten I decided to redo the grass and dirt tiles because of how badly they were tiling.

New grass

New tile transitions. Thanks for the feedback guys I'm liking these new ones a lot more personally!
lol , animate the grass ! jk
I plan to animate a lot of the environment much like this

Take Ya Time No Rush <3. But i can't wait for ya'll to post more on end game content, caaant wait.
Pixelcomet wrote:
I plan to animate a lot of the environment much like this

Dope.

Been observing from the sidelines, because I felt you guys went left with the whole "class" groupings, but you guys aren't done so there's a chance I could be wrong. Regardless of any personal opinions, I do admire the work ethic this team has shown thus far though. Definitely should inspire more folks around here to go get it, whatever it is -- it sure has for me.

Best of luck.

nice job of work ishuri! im loving the environment and start screen
Loving the tilesets adn the improvments the talented artist made!
Goodjob guys,looking nice as always. keep it up :D
Page: 1 2 3