Land of Fire

by Pixelcomet
Land of Fire
An atmospheric, anime inspired role playing game.

Updated the tile set and adjusted colors to the feedback I've gotten.
Really not digging the new tileset at all. It looks super noisy compared to everything you guys have shown so far.

The ground in the above gif has a very pleasant amount of "less is more" feel to it. This new set looks very rpg-maker-esque in a not so great way, as someone else mentioned.
I prefer the first version over the rework.
Keep your subtile style - dont change it by force.
"Less is more" approach is the best look, as said above. It draws just enough attention to the environment.
Less is More, is More. :D. I liked the Simple approach as well, Though you could just put some animated patches of Tileable grass into the area's if in the event it feels too plain.
In response to Reformist
Reformist wrote:
Really not digging the new tileset at all. It looks super noisy compared to everything you guys have shown so far.

The ground in the above gif has a very pleasant amount of "less is more" feel to it. This new set looks very rpg-maker-esque in a not so great way, as someone else mentioned.
I'm with Reformist on this one. The grass tileset looks like its from a completely different game.
This is honestly the first real issue I have with the game, as others above have said, both the new and old tileset just... really don't do it for me at all. Your towns all look fantastic, as does your intro area, but this just doesn't look very good. ):
In response to Pixelcomet
I don't understand all of the dislikes. I personally like the tileset. Seems like you guys are spoiled by the Transcendence-like art style.

EDIT: Just want to say that I preferred the first tileset. I think you should work on removing the grid effect on that one, instead of switching over to the new one.
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
I don't understand all of the dislikes. I personally like the tileset. Seems like you guys are spoiled by the Transcendence-like art style.

EDIT: Just want to say that I preferred the first tileset. I think you should work on removing the grid effect on that one, instead of switching over to the new one.

More like confused as to why it looks different from its original look. That's like saying we were spoiled when The Division was downgraded to the shell it was made into.
The tileset is great and i love the new colours. drawing a whole map by hand will take too much work and can be added later. dont priotitize it
At the end of the day, they can't please everyone. As long as the gameplay is perfect, I'm sure there are things we as players will overlook.

Tilesets, don't bother me personally, Either Or, THEY ALL LOOK PRETTY & Stylish in my eyes, as an Artist; so long as they all match-up.

The game , so far, does look aesthetically pleasing. VERY PLEASING
See I don't really think people are understanding that the dark forest was actually made specifically to be dark and dank while being beautiful in a sort of abstract sort of way.

Still taking the feedback I've gotten- that I can actually work with still was tough regardless. I'm not changing my style. I'm trying to create something that's both appealing to myself(I'm highly self critical of myself- most days I hate what I create and I often question how people see differently)

Anywho.. This is what I've got.. And actually like
(Right click and view in a new tab for better resolution)

Also the hand drawn element will still be there( You can see it in that little waterfall) as I do go back and draw over things to break up the repetitiveness. This method just helps in smoothing out the work flow.
Looks great! you've really got the colors down now :)
Just keep breaking up the edges and it'll be perfect! I enjoy that you're doing minor changes to portions of the map, it's always those details I feel that bring more life.
minecraft sugarcane
Woweee looks great, looks like you found the perfect method
Its actually bamboo stalks xp
Please tell me that we'll be able to cross that stream via the rocks.
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
Please tell me that we'll be able to cross that stream via the rocks.

Yep!
In response to Ishuri
Hehe >:)
Page: 1 2 3