ID:2113113

This week has been mostly dedicated to tying up a lot of loose ends in 511, to get it closer to release. Time was short because of the four-day week, and also because the heat was around 90° this week and past a certain point in the afternoon, the A/C just wouldn't cut it anymore. Some of the new features that had not been tested much yet got more testing and also got some documentation in. But I did find time to address two longstanding feature requests: extending flick() to areas and images.

The addition of an enhanced client frame rate last week led to a new and interesting problem: Step changes should, when within the limit of step_size, cause a glide to happen on the interstitial client frames. This new concept of "pixel gliding" ate up a lot of time, because every time I mess with the gliding system bad things happen. However it's now looking pretty good, as of some late-night work last night. I did have to modify the existing glide system so that when an object has glided (or glid, as it were; that ought to be a word) more than one tile but not more than two, it will jump to a one-tile distance rather than trying to simply speed up its glide. This had to be done for the pixel glide system not to mess up, but in testing it looked absolutely fine.

I'm finally getting in a Gamepad Setup dialog for DS, and I plan to put it in Dream Maker (probably) and maybe the pager also. This dialog is not for using the new "mapping" macros (that's already in place), but for mapping your specific gamepad's buttons to a standard layout. For instance, my old Logitech gamepad has everything a PlayStation controller has, except for analog triggers (and of course the PS button); but its button layout is stupid.

Ideal   Mine

4 4
3 2 1 3
1 2

I figure everyone will have to make these sorts of little adjustments for the most part, but I can build up a set of some standard options once the beta is out and people setup their own mappings. That's right, I'm gonna crowdsource it.

As of this moment, this is the list of what's in for 511 (minus the webclient, which doesn't have any of these yet and won't in the first release):
  • Assignment operator chaining (id:1225436)
  • pixel_w (id:2002425)
  • Nudge as pixels in map editor (id:1316027)
  • SEE_THRU (id:2080439)
  • Gamepad support (id:2005012)
    • Further testing on some features is required
    • Gamepad setup dialog still in progress
    • Needs documentation
  • Parallel animations (id:1935102)
  • Variadic macros (id:1516476)
  • Var access improvements (id:1988878)
  • Sound fallbacks for Dream Seeker
    • Was added to DM language in 510, but only supported in the webclient until now
    • Needs further testing and documentation
  • Mutable appearances (id:1813930)
  • Enhanced client frame rate (id:1860613)
  • Fix: Verb removal caused slowdowns during parsing and statpanel updates (id:2084104)
  • flick() for areas (id:98387)
  • flick() for images (id:116655)
I still want enhanced map zoom in DM on that list, so I'll get on that next week and see what I can do with it.

For other features, many can still make it into the 511 series but don't need to be in for the first beta. Some others, like filters for one, I'm pretty much set on pushing back to 512.

Don't forget to hit up the donation box or become a Member if you haven't yet. Your support keeps the lights on and new features rolling in.
Are you adding support for controller gameplay? Soryy that was pretty much the only thing i understood from that and would be so much better if my ps3 controller could move around as I like that (or using WSAD) rather than the arrow keys. Word of advice I'm pretty sure dualshock ps3 controllers aren't able to sync to pc's by default like 360 controllers, I think they need a special program to get em working. Example I use ScpToolkit to play games on steam with my ps3 controller. I read somewhere that sony registered a patent or something for dualshock 4 controllers syncing with pcs although everything I said could be wrong. I don't know enough to give 100% statement on the matter
What about custom splash screens and bypassing the login system on the webclient(automatically logging in as a guest)? are those going to make it to 511?
Oh shit image and area flicks would be nice
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
What about custom splash screens and bypassing the login system on the webclient(automatically logging in as a guest)? are those going to make it to 511?

I am pretty sure there's totally a way to do custom splash screens for the web client.
In lieu of anywhere else to put this yet, I've also added a new "Any" macro designation that's good for key-down and key-up macros only (no repeats). [[*]] in the command will replaced with the key name.
In response to Lummox JR
So we won't have to go through and add macros for every possible key if we want to keep track of the state of every key. Sweeet. Here are the last two macros you'll ever need (aside from skin-related client-side interactions with .winset etc.):

Key: Any
Command: .key-down [[*]]

Key: Any+UP
Command: .key-up [[*]]
Yessssss.
In response to Kaiochao
You'll probably want those in quotes, unless your verb has command_text as the argument type instead of regular text.
In response to Lummox JR
AFAIK quotes aren't necessary for single-word strings given to verbs expecting text. I don't think there are any keys that have spaces or non-letter symbols?

Also, I forgot that my latest keyboard library version uses Topic() instead of verbs, so it'd look more like:
winset(client, "AnyKey",   "parent=macro; name=Any;    command=\"byond://?src=\ref[src];action=keydown;key=\[\[*]]\"")
winset(client, "AnyKeyUp", "parent=macro; name=Any+UP; command=\"byond://?src=\ref[src];action=keyup;key=\[\[*]]\"")
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
AFAIK quotes aren't necessary for single-word strings given to verbs expecting text. I don't think there are any keys that have spaces or non-letter symbols?

what about cases where the macro name is a number? those could be read as numbers or text.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I've also added a new "Any" macro designation that's good for key-down and key-up macros only (no repeats). [[*]] in the command will replaced with the key name.

Also, I forgot that my latest keyboard library version uses Topic() instead of verbs, so it'd look more like:

You should always use instant verbs for key commands so that you don't have to wait until the next tick to process them, then add logic server side to prevent multiple key presses within the same tick when appropriate.

Anything else excessively increases input lag.
The 511 hype lives.
Map zoom is in.
You're my hero, Lummox. It's been awhile, DM.
when release day
In response to Ishuri
Ishuri wrote:
when release day
?
In response to Ishuri
Ishuri wrote:
when release day

Sometime after the flash client I heard ;)
Page: 1 2