ID:2114078

Just finished going through Zilal's beginner guide and I am completely lost as to how you can code big games and such. I finished making my first beginner project a few minutes ago and would like to know how I can learn more as I don't know what Is a good place to start on getting better? Really lost on this site. looking for guidance.

Edit:I know there is a tutorial section and i looked through it but all these things are very advanced to me. and I don't know how this can be tied in to my skill level just yet.
Welcome to byond lol
SigmaWolf wrote:
Just finished going through Zilal's beginner guide and I am completely lost as to how you can code big games and such. I finished making my first beginner project a few minutes ago and would like to know how I can learn more as I don't know what Is a good place to start on getting better? Really lost on this site. looking for guidance.

Edit:I know there is a tutorial section and i looked through it but all these things are very advanced to me. and I don't know how this can be tied in to my skill level just yet.

The best question to ask at this point is: What sort of game do you want to make?

A lot of people start with RPGs early on. It's a good way to learn some basic concepts, although most beginners' RPGs are a long way from polished. But you could also try making a board game, or a zombie fighting game, or what have you. Quite a while back I got to try out one user's game of tag, and it was pretty great actually.

Once you know what kind of game to make, then what you have to do is break it down into manageable chunks. Like in an RPG, you'd want to have an inventory system for picking up and dropping items, and equipping weapons, armor, etc. You might want a way to setup combat, and then shopkeepers, eventually working your way up to something like random quests, perhaps.

With a board game, you'd want a system for managing a list of players who are in the game (and those who are waiting to play), and also something for taking turns and only allowing certain moves; you'd probably want something to allow for time-outs in case a user becomes inactive.

Your first game doesn't have to be too ambitious. You can start by doing just some simple proof-of-concept stuff to get your feet wet before getting into bigger challenges.
thanks for the help guys lol sorry i was without a computer for awhile.