ID:2114499

I've been monitoring the situation of Playstation 4 accessibility to BYOND games each and every time the webclient updates.

It has slowly crawled from 'virtually impossible' to 'highly functional'.

Almost every function on an HTML5 byond game is available on ps4, but a few functions still are lacking or not working.

*Sounds don't work
*Browse() doesn't appear to work
*We don't have access to the controller's DPAD i don't believe

The sound issue is something that I don't think we can solve with HTML5. Playstation 4 uses a propietary sound format that has prevented mods from becoming available on PS4, so if a big company like Bethesda can't solve it, I don't think we will be able to crack it with HTML5. But maybe someone will find some way to get sound to work in the webclient?

Anyway, Xbox One doesn't have the sound issue. I don't have an Xbox One, but I wonder if the sound plays on webclients in xbox one?

The workaround to the sound issue would've been to use the YouTube trick to at least play some music in the background if the default sound() function is broken, but I haven't been able to get browse() to work on the webclient at this time.

ASIDE FROM THIS, the only real issue is that we don't have access to controller inputs directly on ps4. That's probably not possible on the ps4's internet browser (or maybe it is?? my code reads a command input when i click the joystick on the controller). For now at least, the 'say' bar which is standard on almost all byond games doesn't work on ps4 because the ps4 controller doesn't have an 'Enter' key, you'd have to manually add a button next to the say bar to accomodate this problem.

From this, i'd say we're getting really, really close to PS4 support of BYOND. And it's weird, because I don't think the intention was ever to have byond games be playable on ps4 yet here we are.

--
The question is, which BYOND games would you REALLY want to play on your PS4 as opposed to PC?

There's like 5 games on the site worth playing, and out of the 5 I'd say only two are currently designed in such a way that would make playing with a controller a cinch. The other 99.9999999999998% of the games on the site are chatrooms. I'm pretty sure chatrooms are more convenient on a computer than on a gaming console.

This is a similar issue Ouya ran into. It's like, yeah, playing Android games on your T.V. is awesome, but... how many mobile games do you really want to play on your T.V.? I don't think we have people dying for the chance to play Pokemon Go on their 40 inch flat screen especially since that game and many others seem to only be playable in portrait mode, meaning half of that flat screen gets occupied by black rectangles.
Yut Put wrote:
why do consoles exist in 2016

Because there is a huge market for them, anything with a market supports a businesses and many jobs. It also makes those power hungry guys at top happy to make money
Because they're cheap, easy to use and fun. What rock are you living under?
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
Because they're cheap, easy to use and fun. What rock are you living under?

The rock of enlightenment.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
The question is, which BYOND games would you REALLY want to play on your PS4 as opposed to PC?

There's like 5 games on the site worth playing, and out of the 5 I'd say only two are currently designed in such a way that would make playing with a controller a cinch. The other 99.9999999999998% of the games on the site are chatrooms. I'm pretty sure chatrooms are more convenient on a computer than on a gaming console.

This is a similar issue Ouya ran into. It's like, yeah, playing Android games on your T.V. is awesome, but... how many mobile games do you really want to play on your T.V.? I don't think we have people dying for the chance to play Pokemon Go on their 40 inch flat screen especially since that game and many others seem to only be playable in portrait mode, meaning half of that flat screen gets occupied by black rectangles.

I think it's more a question of availablity.

Developers won't program a game for ps4 if they know the client can't support it.

But if ps4 support keeps getting better like it has been, there is a potential audience here.

For instance, consider BYOND games being released on PSN Marketplace. All you'd really have to do is package the existing HTML5 client into a PSN happy package and it seems like the port would be very possible. And since you are now using a client and not the native PSN Internet browser, one would assume you would have far more control over the controller inputs in that case.

In fact, I daresay it might already be possible, there's no shortage of internet browser codes available for PS4 devkits, it would only be a matter of creating code that can send the controller inputs directly into dream seeker.

Anyway, this is all hypothetical. I'm just saying if the situation improves, we could start to have a brand new audience for our games, and I certainly would at least be willing to give it a shot with my games

A few BYOND games released on Steam, but I think being released on PSN would be a far bigger deal.
Keep in mind, the webclient can only join existing hosted worlds, it cannot be used to run them, you wouldn't be able to do single-player games or games that aren't already being hosted.
In response to Anthonytyran
Anthonytyran wrote:
Yut Put wrote:
why do consoles exist in 2016

Because there is a huge market for them, anything with a market supports a businesses and many jobs. It also makes those power hungry guys at top happy to make money

That doesn't answer the question, you just shifted the question from why are they selling to the market to why does the market exist.

witch is a good question, why does the market exist.
In response to MrStonedOne
why does the market exist.

Consoles are marketed towards gaming in general while you don't see a commercial saying coming soon to PC! imo
but thats because the market exists.

MrStonedOne wrote:
but thats because the market exists.

Someone would of had to of defined it, there must be a creator.

because people like consoles, as almost a certified programmer, I absolutley hate computers. Why after 8 hours of work would I want to sit on the same device I work on for another 5 hours.

Also there is a market because people enjoy it, and sony and nintendo make great exclusives that you cant get on pc. Horizon zero dawn
Anthonytyran wrote:
because people like consoles, as almost a certified programmer, I absolutley hate computers. Why after 8 hours of work would I want to sit on the same device I work on for another 5 hours.

Unfortunate you feel that way. I use the computer for pretty much everything except gaming -- that is until I can afford the upgrade I want. I suppose you need a certain type of passion for computers and technology in general.
Anthonytyran wrote:
Also there is a market because people enjoy it, and sony and nintendo make great exclusives that you cant get on pc. Horizon zero dawn

There is a market because it is easy. Maintenance free, instant gratification, no brains required gaming. You push a button or two, you start a game. You know that game's going to work**, and you can do it at your leisure, where you like.

I'm trying to think of a legitimate analogy, but no word of a lie I can't think of any other than masturbation. Consoles are akin to masturbation, where as PC gaming is akin to being in a married relationship with like, Natalie Dormer or some shit. Sometimes she's going to want uplifts here and there, sometimes she'll be cranky and hard to work with, but when it comes down to business you're gonna get that sweet sweet puss. Masturbation is just masturbation, like, cool I guess.

The market exists because it is extremely streamlined, and though it may be hard to fathom, people campaigning against consoles really are just the top 10% of the market share. Consoles are shit, but the retarded masses can't comprehend that, so the market perpetuates itself.
Actually, a better comparison is the difference between a king and a plebian.

The King is an alpha male who leads rather than follows. He accepts nothing less than total conquest and will go to any length to achieve it. His garments glisten in the sun rays, his crown heavy and golden, his penis as massive as the battle axes with which his soldiers execute his divine will and as a result must be gripped with two hands at all times. When you hear his name, you tremble. When you see his face, you bow. When you hear his orders, you obey without hesitation. This is the way of the King.

The Plebian, on the other hand, is nothing. He is last in everything. Having mastered no trade, he slaves his life away to all those superior to him and dies to be forgotten. His living conditions unbearable, the bass in his voice is non-existent, his penis, if you can even call that pea-sized protrusion a "reproductive organ", can only be seen through the lens of a telescope. He cries out in desperation to the gods for deliverance, but they heed his call not, for they answer only to those who have transcended the futile ways of humanity.

The King plays PC and the plebian plays console.

So which will you be? The King or the Plebian?

Is your cock a 6-pound hunk of steel, or a minuscule vegetable waiting to be shat out by the organism which hath consumed it?
PS4 will always have a reason to exist as long as Bloodborne is PS4 exclusive BabyRage
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Actually, a better comparison is the difference between a king and a plebian.

The King is an alpha male who leads rather than follows. He accepts nothing less than total conquest and will go to any length to achieve it. His garments glisten in the sun rays, his crown heavy and golden, his penis as massive as the battle axes with which his soldiers execute his divine will and as a result must be gripped with two hands at all times. When you hear his name, you tremble. When you see his face, you bow. When you hear his orders, you obey without hesitation. This is the way of the King.

The Plebian, on the other hand, is nothing. He is last in everything. Having mastered no trade, he slaves his life away to all those superior to him and dies to be forgotten. His living conditions unbearable, the bass in his voice is non-existent, his penis, if you can even call that pea-sized protrusion a "reproductive organ", can only be seen through the lens of a telescope. He cries out in desperation to the gods for deliverance, but they heed his call not, for they answer only to those who have transcended the futile ways of humanity.

The King plays PC and the plebian plays console.

So which will you be? The King or the Plebian?

Is your cock a 6-pound hunk of steel, or a minuscule vegetable waiting to be shat out by the organism which hath consumed it?

First off... ..I like to believe I have no bias, PC/Console gamer here.

But yeah while I find your comparison funny, I do disagree with it. Consoles provide players with a near guarantee that everyone is using the same hardware which in some gaming communities results in exponentially more players. This is especially seen in fighting games since they have high input rates per frame.

Also, console games from my experience have smoother launches. If a game is coming to let's say, a PS4, you can test it on a PS4. If a game is coming to PC, there's a ton of different hardware to be tested and odds are either NVIDIA or AMD or whoever's hardware will be yield lousy frame rates or an unplayable product. I honestly cannot personally recall a poor game launch on console and can think of 3 AAA PC games I played within the last year or so that were unplayable to most players on launch.(Mortal Kombat X, No Man's Sky & Batman Arkham Knight)

PC gamers don't have it all. I think the perks outweigh the cons of choosing PC over console but will 100% every shot choose to play some specific genres and games on console.
Oh man.

Bringing up consoles on the internet.

Overall back to the original point of the thread:

That was kind of the point of the webclient in the first place, was to adopt a standard (HTML5) that most platforms were moving to adopt.

If BYOND games are to be supported on console browsers, ultimately the developers of those consoles' browser software are going to have to adopt the open standards that BYOND's webclient is targeting.

We have very little control over what standards other platforms choose to adopt or butcher (I'm looking at you, Microsoft.). But what we CAN do is adopt shims that provide missing functionality to various platforms.

IMO, it's hardly worth it though, because the internet marketshare is almost unilaterally chrome or firefox among gamers.

I hate to throw console gamers under the bus here, but... Well... That's not really on anybody but the vendors that chose to lock their audience into a sandboxed browser with limited support of modern standards.

I honestly cannot personally recall a poor game launch on console

Skyrim. It was unplayable on PS3 for literally months.
I went PC because:
- My favorite genre of games weren't on consoles at the time ( MOBAs )
- Buttfuckery. If you don't know what that is, watch the following video.

- I was still into game development at the time. I could not make BYOND games for consoles so obviously I'd spend less time with a console
- I was also into video editing. With PC games all you had to do was grab FRAPS and press one button to record, then open Sony Vegas, edit, and upload to YouTube. With consoles, there was this extra hardware you needed to buy and plug into the console to record game play and ain't nobody got time for dat.
- I used to live stream WoW content for the level 20 F2P community. At that time there was no such thing as players streaming from their consoles.
- A ton of games that used to be exclusive to consoles now have PC versions so that made it even more pointless to go out and buy a console
- The hardware issue is irrelevant to me. My time spent gaming is currently split between 3 games: Dota 2, League of Legends, and poker, which we can ignore poker since I mainly play that on my phone at work. That leaves Dota 2 and League neither of which have high system requirements. As long as my computer can handle Dota 2 and League, I really couldn't care less if it can't deal with the latest Call of Bio Creed. I'm still on a machine I built in 2011 ( or it may have been 2012 ) and I haven't upgraded a single component of this PC because it plays Dota 2 and League perfectly.
- I'm an alpha male. Alphas must assert their dominance and that cannot be accomplished when you conduct yourself as a console beta cuck.

Hope this helps!
Thx man for such a positive outlook and concern for solid compatibility for one of the latest consoles. I would hope BYOND would eventually have compatibility with consoles... and since this is webclient base... compatibility with these consoles would almost mean instant compatibility with their predecessors. Regardless of there being a new market, its a good demonstration that BYOND possesses power and versatility.
Page: 1 2