ID:2116097

Hello everyone,

I came across this engine by mere chance after reading both good and bad things about. However, it felt promising and had some good points enough to lead me to consider it for my next project.

I am planning to make a MUD sort of online game similar to Kaldana: Revelation (a very old MUD).If you don't know the game, imagine Agar.io but with both text and 2D sprites. It would have instances but it runs using an authoritative server; where every X amount of players are in an instance for example.

Would BYOND support something like this? Or am I going to battle the engine tooth and nail to fit it to my needs?

If this helps at all, I have experience with Construct 2, RPG Maker and Unity.

Thank you very much for your answers in advance.
I don't know anything about either game you mentioned, but BYOND was originally designed to create MUDs, it is very well suited for them.

Instancing and multiple servers communicating with each other is definitely possible as well.
Thanks for the reply.

To give an example here is what I am after:
http://www.godwars2.org/images/plugin_v115_3.png

But you'd have an inventory that you can open (like any other MMO) a character sheet with your equipment, spells/skills etc...

Since you mentioned BYOND was designed for that originally, are there any examples of working games (commercial would be really good) that are close to MUD/MMO made with BYOND?
Oh, yeah, that's definitely possible. As for current examples, the engine kind of ended up with a lot of RPG content and not MUD content so I don't know of any major examples, but you can browse over the Games section of the website to get a good idea of what is possible. From the looks of that screenshot you'd have very little trouble doing that with BYOND.
Thanks for your replies guys. You've eased my mind! Elora 2 seems to be closest to what I want to do and since there are 2D RPG-esque games in the Games section that means things should be quite fine.

Thanks a lot! You've made the decision process much easier :)
Hi Vallar former rev player here currently working on something similar that I started on not too long before rev went down
Hi Ticktock01, tell us when u finish it :)
Yeah, as other people have said I think BYOND is 100% what you're looking for. You could have shown me that screenshot and said it was made in BYOND and I wouldn't have batted an eye.
Still have much to do and still working on different systems etc but I have a test version up and running. It's pretty bare content wise just now, but would be cool to have other people helping to test and share ideas. If interested visit http://cursed-lands.net download link in the forum. Thanks.