Land of Fire

by Pixelcomet
Land of Fire
An atmospheric, anime inspired role playing game.
ID:2118899

Hello again LoF followers! It's been a pretty interesting week, we actually dove into some world content this week, and it's been looking awesome! A lot of our content this week was focused on making new enemies for the area Zane has envisioned, the "Crystal Mines", where you can ride carts, mine rare minerals, and fight Corinth, the devastating earth basilisk, possessed by a Kami tier Yokai.

Roly
They walk around waiting for the opportunity to rev up into a ball, and dash towards their enemy. If they clash into each other, they bounce off each other, as well as bounce off walls and other collisions.

Here are the Rolies bouncing off of walls.

Just for laughs, this is what the Rolies used to be able to do.

It was crazy and had to be changed! Still funny though.

Runemage
These fellas throw magic missiles towards you, and when you get too close, they teleport away, so make sure you strike fast!

Crystal Golem
These are still in development, but here's the current art in the making for them.

Bats
These guys are still in development as well, but here's an animation of them flapping about.

This Bear Thing
This is also still in development, it's a bear with it's head trapped in a crystal.
moo

Corinth
Corinth is possessed by a Kami tier Yokai as an earth type basilisk. Doing this one was extremely tricky, it wasn't easy getting the snake like movements right. We're still planning how damaging this guy is actually going to work, but we should have that to share next week.

For those interested, I've made another recording showing off Zane's mapping process. We're going to try recording work from the complete beginning for future videos.

With that, here are some of the maps Zane has completed this week. We plan on doing some really cool puzzles in this area, I can't wait to share what we come up with!

We also added a new nudge system to keep mobs from staying on top of each other, especially when spawning!

For the most part, that about covers this week. A lot of next week will involve putting the rest of what's missing together as well as polishing some of this stuff up. Can't wait to see how this whole area turns out, and I definitely can't wait to share it with you all! See you next week!
Looks great, I almost forgot this is byond.
I really like the thoughts you put into each and every mob - I also love most of the designs (they are quite unique).

With that said I believe this game is going more in a RPG direction rather than a ninja based game in feudal japan. Theres nothing wrong with that. I just believe most of the people here got involved because of the similarities to the Naruto-universe; hope you can keep those players in the game.

Im personally also looking for something naruto-related. There are dozens of rpg games out there. If you want to compete with them you need something unique that catches peoples attention. Naruto has a great name recognition, there are few games out and it has a huge demand ;)

Felt like it would be beneficial to share an economical stand at this point in time. Would be sad to cast away a huge potential.

Game looks great though. Im still amazed, couldve never imagined something to this extent was possible with byond.
Who Knew byond was this powerful. Let's see if it stays this powerful when we're all logged in, I hope it can sustain us, the server.
In response to Sakimaru
Sakimaru wrote:
Who Knew byond was this powerful. Let's see if it stays this powerful when we're all logged in, I hope it can sustain us, the server.

With the way LoF was designed, we can have thousands of things happening on the server, and it'll never face lag, so long as I stick to my strict programming regime. It's having a number of things rendered on the players screen that causes instability. Hopefully Lummox fixes this.
In response to Shellfisch
Shellfisch wrote:
Looks great, I almost forgot this is byond.
I really like the thoughts you put into each and every mob - I also love most of the designs (they are quite unique).

With that said I believe this game is going more in a RPG direction rather than a ninja based game in feudal japan. Theres nothing wrong with that. I just believe most of the people here got involved because of the similarities to the Naruto-universe; hope you can keep those players in the game.

Im personally also looking for something naruto-related. There are dozens of rpg games out there. If you want to compete with them you need something unique that catches peoples attention. Naruto has a great name recognition, there are few games out and it has a huge demand ;)

Felt like it would be beneficial to share an economical stand at this point in time. Would be sad to cast away a huge potential.

Game looks great though. Im still amazed, couldve never imagined something to this extent was possible with byond.

Land of Fire was inspired by Naruto and other Anime not based on them. We've stated months ago that we don't intend to continue making a fan game. This may come as a huge disappointment to some but we can't sustain ourselves by making a fan game. Especially since we're funding this project out of our own pockets for the time being.

You may say that we are making the game as a hobby but that's not exactly the case, This is a huge investment for most of us and we do expect some kind of return in the long run because you need money to continue doing what you love.

With that said, There are still some Naruto influences.
I for one i'm glad with the deviation, i'm not too much into having another anime fan game. There's alot of them already, they are practically the mobas of byond .

Also, are the boss fights going to have any interactive scenes? Like after a certain point in the fight you may need to activate a lever, jump on platforms or anything else that isn't just hitting the boss? Personally i would love to see something like this in LoF boss fights
In response to Chad clarke
Chad clarke wrote:
I for one i'm glad with the deviation, i'm not too much into having another anime fan game. There's alot of them already, they are practically the mobas of byond .

Also, are the boss fights going to have any interactive scenes? Like after a certain point in the fight you may need to activate a lever, jump on platforms or anything else that isn't just hitting the boss? Personally i would love to see something like this in LoF boss fights

As far as I know, with Corinth, his moveset changes, and the arena changes in some way.
In response to Ishuri
Ishuri wrote:
Chad clarke wrote:

As far as I know, with Corinth, his moveset changes, and the arena changes in some way.

Any plans to shade the basilisk more? Movement looks amazing, art looks amazing, but it's kind of lacking in the shading department.
In response to Kerry13
CLEARLY a WIP. Shit, it's even stated.
In response to Kerry13
On another note, it would be cool if he spat fire while moving from time to time :), also, is it possible to smoothen out his movement even more? the tail looks very smooth, but everything else seems a bit abrupt.
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
On another note, it would be cool if he spat fire while moving from time to time :), also, is it possible to smoothen out his movement even more? the tail looks very smooth, but everything else seems a bit abrupt.

I'll look into this today.
The Rolies are so cute! I enjoy the object collision as well, all the little balls of... hate and crystals are bouncing off each other. Also, Zane is amazing at mapping! Being able to watch the video was a real treat.

There's just one thing. The creature accurately described as 'the bear thing', despite being adorable, has a strange standing state. It doesn't seem like the crystal is wiggling, instead statically moving up and down without buoyancy. I icon as well, quite a lot, so I understand it's had to make a nice looking bobble. If you had four states for when they were standing still, making the head rise a bit and then return down may look better.

Something along those lines. Sorry about it looking blurry, gifs like doing that to me. And, just one more suggestion. Make the big bad bear rideable!

I'd love to charge in to battle on one of these!

Is this our Health and Chakra bars? I also see three logs so does that mean 3 Substitution Jutsu? Either way, it looks really awesome! Keep up the good work! Looking forward to RP'n with all you chumps! <3
Cant wait to play, when is next testing phase?!
In response to SarahTime
It seems like you can teach our animator a thing or two. Looking forward to seeing you in game, although the RP version won't come until after release. I might have something to share next week regarding the bear thing that might peak yours and others' interest.
In response to Sakimaru
Sakimaru wrote:
Cant wait to play, when is next testing phase?!

I'll be sure to announce, keep your eyes peeled
I tend to miss those bro >.>
In response to Ishuri
Yay, my interest is maxed out! >:3 All the bears shall be mine.
dang ishuri! your always impressing me with all these updates and i cant seem to hire a iconer lol! keep up with the good work man and good luck on the game
Absolutely amazing