Land of Fire

by Pixelcomet
Land of Fire
An atmospheric, anime inspired role playing game.
ID:2122566

Greetings friend! We've got another packed devlog this week, so grab a drink and enjoy today's read! Last week, we showed off the new dungeon area, "The Crystal Mines", along with many of the enemies you'll encounter there. While there was good progress involved, there was a lot of WIP enemies that made it to completion this week, as well as some new additions.

Abyss
A new feature we've added is the abyss. In certain areas, you can fall off platforms, so watch your step! We've yet to add consequences, but the current one set in stone is losing a percentage of health upon fall.

The bear things, now called "Crhyno", walk about just like the Rolies. They're able to strike with regular attacks, as well as use their hard crystallized heads to ram into enemies knocking them up.

Here are the bats, or Zots, from last week! They're the first flying enemy added that can keep their distance, and strike at you when ready. However, if you guard against their attack, you can knock them back!

This is a new addition, but still WIP.

And if you thought Corinth was the only big bad in the Crystal Mines, think again, meet the Cryvern!

The attack needs a lot of polish, and he also needs a beam, but that'll be added in tomorrow. In case you're wondering, Corinth is big enough to eat a Cryvern.

We also have a new addition to the team, who's name I still have no idea! He's going to be helping out in the art department. J has been directing him to the direction of attire, and this is what's in store.

Square Enix Collective and LoF

Land of Fire has been in development for over one year, every single day except Christmas, and as you guys might've already seen on our twitter, we have started planning crowd funding approaches for Land of Fire. We've announced the Kickstarter date for September 5th, but this will be changed to October 5th, one month after the initial date. There is a good reason for this, as we've decided to apply for the Square Enix Collective on August 20th. This gives games who plan on doing crowd funding an extra push if the popularity demands it. It's basically a yes/no vote type ordeal to see if the community would be willing to support a game in crowd funding. So go ahead and check out the website, we'll be looking forward to your vote! I think this will be a great opportunity for the team, as this will give us a better perspective on how crowdfunding LoF might actually go when the time comes.

Preparation for both the collective and the Kickstarter begins next week, so unfortunately, next week will be the last content update for a while. We'll continue polishing and putting things together for a possible demo, but until then don't expect too many in game updates for a short while. A lot of people have actually been asking when we plan on putting the game up for testing, and I believe this is the best time to start preparing for such a test, this will be said "demo". Land of Fire needs to stand out among other games, and besides being a 2D game with a very unique style of combat, we believe being a 2D MMO is what will really make it stand out. For those of you outside of the BYOND community, seeing a 2D MMO of this scale isn't very common, seeing one of this caliber, is almost unheard of, and it's definitely something I'm excited to see to the very end.
Impressive Development log as always,good luck on the funding I'll be sure to vote.
good job ishuri! btw any news for a beta soon?
Looking great.It's amazing how much dedication,and work you guys have put into this project. Wish the best for the funding,I'll take vote for you as well.
Imagine: LoF, cross-platform (PC - PS4 - Xbox 1 - Nintendo???), MMORPG.
In response to UPD4T3
UPD4T3 wrote:

That would be pretty sick. I'd be down ahah.
In response to UPD4T3
UPD4T3 wrote:

That's a definite plan.

Deadlypure wrote:
Looking great.It's amazing how much dedication,and work you guys have put into this project. Wish the best for the funding,I'll take vote for you as well.

It means a lot to see our work isn't going unnoticed, thank you.

XRageX wrote:
Impressive Development log as always,good luck on the funding I'll be sure to vote.

This means a lot, can't wait till we launch the campaign!
So many talented artists, keep up the amazing work.
Everything looks awesome and best of luck with the fundraising, I honestly think you guys have a good shot at it. With that said, be careful not to put all your hope on this fundraiser though, if it isn't successful it would be a shame to see you guys lose motivation and have this project go downhill.
Speaking from personal experience, you will absolutely want some kind of polished demo for people to play, even better if you can host a public beta of sorts during the fundraiser. Something like the content of the first town and a few dungeons minimum.

A trailer video alone won't cut it since the Kickstarter community are naturally wary of MORPGs, especially MORPG projects with a low funding goal.

You might also want to check out the latest version of the webclient and see how your game plays in it. That'd definitely see more hits from potential backers since they won't have to download an .exe, and it's worth checking out regardless because players on websites like Kongregate would eat this type of game up.

I could show you how Severed is in the webclient now if you'd like. It more or less plays like any DS game as long as the person's machine is decent, so there's no reason why LoF can't do the same.
In response to Pixel Realms
We may or may not have a demo ready for the kickstarter. We read online where a demo might actually harm the campaign more than benefit it. There were quite a number if successful campaigns from having a trailer alone, and that might end up working out for us.

Also if it means we get early access to Severed Worlds, then heck yes!
Demo's always kind of sucked, so I agree with that. Trailers also kind of suck as well. My reasoning is simply that all the best portions of the game/movie are always shoved into the trailer/demo and the rest of the game/movie could lack. Don't bother with a demo, you're really showing enough with your dev-logs alone to intrigue people.