ID:2127546

Hi! Lets start with an introduction since I'm new to this forum.

Call me Red.

I'm old. :) I have played text based MUDs, innumerable MMORPGS, MOBAs, and various other online multiplayer games. They don't tend to keep my interest with three notable exceptions;

Final Fantasy 11 has a puppetmaster class. I spend a LOT of time and money trying to get said class unlocked and would probably still be playing this aging MMORPG today if they hadn't pulled some truly despicable crap with my account.

Continuum/Subspace. Few things more satisfying than aiming a levi at a distant wall, pulling the trigger as little dots meander into a bad position, then laughing so hard you cry as the screen flashes with a half dozen other players you just murdered... More than half of them being your own team mates.

Diablo 2. I've probably sunk thousands of hours of game play into this thing. I love playing a necromancer that specializes entirely in golems. VERY impractical but as I'm sure you can guess at this point, I have a fondness for golems and constructs.

I know... I'm not a very nice person. :)

ANYWAY! I actually tend to get bored with MMORPGs because they all feel the same to me. Even way back when, years ago, there was this thing like BYOND but not quite as polished called "player worlds". World of Warcraft was just starting to take off and even back then I felt like every game I picked up was just a grind fest with what the game makers felt was a compelling story and environment with interesting characters but... Well... Never really was.

I actually bought NEStalgia on steam a while ago hoping it might be using the old-school RPG game engine to try something new, different, and interesting that might keep my attention. I didn't dislike NEStalgia and I wouldn't call the game bad but I kind of grew bored with it pretty quickly and it's been collecting dust in my library ever since.

So imagine my surprise when someone posted a "Final Fantasy Online" link in a forum I frequent. Imagine my surprise finding this BYOND game client thing that helps simplify game design and development. Imagine my confusion when I found out I already had an account!

I'm posting this thread not so much to introduce myself but to ask a question I'm certain gets asked a lot in this forum;

What should I play?

The feel of a good tile based movement system as much as more free flowing modern movement system. I prefer simple top down over isometric 2.5D but if the isometric is done well and isn't annoying I can learn to enjoy it (I did mention loving Diablo2).

I don't care about story. I hate to say it but I feel like there's a rule that game makers have to be really bad at writing. So story and setting depth are of the least importance to me.

Most important is character customization. I mean that in the most practical sense. While visual customization is fine and a plus I really mean the opportunity to make whatever kind of character you want to play functionally speaking.

Multi-classing system, races, attribute and skill point based leveling system, that sort of thing.

Suggestions, conversation, and feedback are all much loved.
honestly if your looking for a bunch of fun games your in the wrong place and majority of games here do not even have a story or a nice character creation. But id recommend http://www.byond.com/games/PrideRavanok/RiseOfThePirates