ID:2129716

Not a bug
BYOND Version:N/A (Website Bug)
Operating System:Linux
Web Browser:Chrome 52.0.2743.85
Applies to:Website

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary: This should be bold, but it's not

It appears all bold on the entire site is gone; it used to be that the forum you were currently browsing was bold on the navigation bar at the top; this is not the case currently.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: Use a bold tag

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
<b>This should be bold, but it's not</b>

Expected Results: It would be bold

Actual Results: It's not bold

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? N/A
In other user accounts? Unknown
On other computers? Unknown

When does the problem NOT occur? Unknown

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? N/A

Workarounds: Unknown

Test. This definitely works.
...is it my browser that's broken, then?

https://nyx.gn32.uk/i/2016-08-10_12-33-59.png

edit: Interesting. If I go into Chrome's inspect mode, and turn off the CSS that sets the font, I get bold again:
https://nyx.gn32.uk/i/2016-08-10_12-37-52.png

double edit: This can be closed, looks like it's a browser issue on my end. Not sure what broke, though.
Discussion in IRC led to it being noticed that this is a website issue, just not the one I thought it was;

[ daranz] Apparently windows does not come with bold versions of Lucida Sans Unicode
[ daranz] sooo
[ daranz] http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/23718/ does-lucida-sans-unicode-font-in-windows-7-have-a-bold-style
[+Bot32] grep: typography - Does Lucida Sans Unicode font in Windows 7 have a bold style? - Webmasters Stack Exchange
[ daranz] So in other words, it a BYOND site problem
[ daranz] since they want a font that people don't normally have

Currently, BYOND's <body> and <td> tags set the following CSS:
font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Segoe UI', Tahoma, 'Bitstream Vera Sans', Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

Lucida Sans Unicode, for those who have it on their system, does not have a bold variant; the site is asking for a font that doesn't exist.
If the font doesn't have a bold variant, Windows does a faux-bold as a matter of routine. The fact that you're not seeing bold therefore has nothing to do with whether the font has a bold variant.
Was anything changed recently (within the last day or two) on the website side? The last time my system was updated was the 7th, and I'd have noticed bold being gone earlier than I did if that caused it.
Nope.
I notice that your report says "Linux" as an operating system, is that accurate? If so everything relating to Windows is kind of moot, no?

If not, which version of Windows are you using?
This might actually be a bug in chrome.

I had one for the longest time, where chrome would show random stuff rendered in italics, such as all of github, random parts of the forums here, and certain parts of google search lists.

Can you confirm if other browsers have the same issue?
Working fine for me in firefox on windows 7
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
I notice that your report says "Linux" as an operating system, is that accurate? If so everything relating to Windows is kind of moot, no?

If not, which version of Windows are you using?

That's accurate. Arch Linux, WM is i3.
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
This might actually be a bug in chrome.

I had one for the longest time, where chrome would show random stuff rendered in italics, such as all of github, random parts of the forums here, and certain parts of google search lists.

Can you confirm if other browsers have the same issue?

Firefox is fine: https://nyx.gn32.uk/i/2016-08-11_22-24-09.png
(left is Chromium, right is Firefox)
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)