In response to Bandock
Pubs seem to think its alright to release unpolished games.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/ wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

The tide is turning. Reviews have dropped to 57% positive.

Game's a stinker. Pretty much official at this point.
In response to Ter13
With as much hype as people put on it, it's like people forget that it's still very much an indie game. It's not a AAA release by any stretch of the imagination. They have like a dozen guys working on it from what I understand. As far as the indie scene goes, it's in a league of its own. It's amazing. When you try to compare it to big-name studio titles like something from Bethesda, though, you're going into it with the wrong idea.

People are reviewing the game like it's some massive release and yes, while it was hyped pretty hard, that's the fault of the marketing more than anything else. If No Man's Sky was developed by a professional team of 100+ individuals and a budget in the hundreds of millions, sure, it would be fair to label it as a failure due to the lack of content. But that fact that something like this came from a studio as small as they are, it was a very ambitious task and I still think it holds up.
Developer: "I'd like to sell you this gold nugget."

Consumer: "Sure, I do like gold."

Developer: "Alright, wait three years. Let me tell you about how great this gold nugget is. It's pure, 24 karat solid gold."

Consumer: "That sounds great, I'm excited!"

Three years later:

Developer: "Ok, here's your solid gold nugget!"

Consumer: "But it's a turd that you spraypainted gold."

Developer: "..."

Consumer: "BUT IT'S A TURD THAT YOU PAINTED GOLD."

Fanboy: "You can't expect an actual piece of gold! Sure it's the same price as gold, but they just dipped a turd in gold paint! It's a lovely turd in gold paint because this is a small company. You can't blame them, your expectations were too high. Maybe next time you shouldn't listen to the marketing so much, and you won't be disappointed."

Consumer: "But the guy promised me a 24K gold nugget. He gave me a turd spraypainted gold instead. He's a liar."

Fanboy: "Well, if you pay close attention, he never said that it was pure gold."

Consumer: "Yes he did! I have a video of him saying it. I have multiple interview quotes."

Fanboy: "Well, I'm sure that he did, but things change during development."

Consumer: "He was saying it was pure gold up to a month ago! He showed a video of the nugget being melted down into coinage four months ago!"

Fanboy: "I'm sure that they tried to give you pure gold, but you know, gold of this quality is really difficult to make."

Consumer: "Then he shouldn't have promised me a pure gold nugget until they were sure they could produce it!"

Fanboy: "Why can't you just enjoy things for what they are? I personally enjoyed my sprayturd."

Consumer: "I dunno, call me old fashioned, but I don't care for being conned."

Fanboy: "You weren't conned, you conned yourself."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hguiN8oo0dI#t=47s
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
"I personally enjoyed my sprayturd."

Time to clean my monitor.
In response to Ter13
Lol, I'm not saying that the overhype wasn't a huge problem. The game's hype was literally its whole leg it had to stand on. The false promises and whatnot, but that comes down to the unsavvy nature of consumers who take this kind of information head-on without looking at the logistics of it.

I for one, was hopeful for No Man's Sky, but wholeheartedly didn't expect it to be much more than it is right now. Logically, they had a skeleton crew of developers. There's no way that they could deliver on the level they promised, it's just not feasible.

I guess that makes me an outlier, but I'm not salty about it not being what they promised. The game matches my expectations, which I kept low from a commercial standpoint.

Is it a good game for the kind of team they had and I still think it has potential to expand into something way cooler, much like how Minecraft did.
but that comes down to the unsavvy nature of consumers who take this kind of information head-on without looking at the logistics of it.

So I'm unsavvy for expecting multiplayer when the developers have literally talked about PVP and seeing other players and trading with other players in interviews? I didn't follow development because I didn't want to overhype myself like I did with spore. All I knew about the game was:

1) It's a multiplayer procedural space exploration and survival game with planets.

2) It has randomly generated species that you can name.

That's literally all I knew about the game until launch day. And somehow, I'm still disappointed, and too "hyped by the marketing."

What parallel reality are we living in where someone who knows next to nothing about the game and didn't read any articles about it, and honestly expected it to be a bit too big for its own britches is the guy that's overhyped?

The issue cut and dry is simply this: The development of this game was a con-job. The developers bit off more than they could chew and decided it would be better to show footage of the experimental builds that they had knowingly already cut features from the release candidates up to a month before release.

It's been proven outright that the developers lied and have been knowingly deceiving consumers not just with vague promises and hype, but also with footage they knew contained features that had already been cut from the game, knowing full well that this footage showcased features explicitly marked as "core" to the game's four pillar design.
What's spore?
Ter13, this is one of the few instances where i disagree with you. I understand where you're coming from but I think you, like hundreds of others, had the wrong image in your head of what the multiplayer aspect was supposed to be like with this game.

They mentioned trading with players and being able to see other players, sure, but the depth involved there wouldn't be much more than the depth with NPC traders at space stations. The game was not developed to be a huge multiplayer project - having other players share the same game space was supposed to just be novelty and it was intended that you could play the game your whole life and never encounter another player.

I'm not defending the lie, but multiplayer is supposed to be on it's way with one of the upcoming updates (along with settlement building! Fallout4 in space! whoo!)

I do think that the games launch ended up being much larger than they anticipated. Indie devs don't usually handle mainstream pressure very well. lol

Also, Ter13, why were you excited by Spore? Literally nothing about Spore looked remotely "fun". I never understood why people got so hyped for it. It was just a fancy tech demo.

I for one have spent several days engrossed in NMS with no sign of slowing anytime soon. Have you tried playing it with drugs? That might help. (^8
Am I the only one who found spore way after the launch date and actually enjoyed it?
In response to Kumorii
They were indie devs, but they had Sony money and advertisement behind them. That's way more than your average indie has to work with. They made promises and didn't keep them.

also the fact that literally no planet has any semblance of uniqueness
Let's make no man's sky in byond. People will play it more because it has multiplayer
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
They were indie devs, but they had Sony money and advertisement behind them. That's way more than your average indie has to work with. They made promises and didn't keep them.
Sony published the title. Sony covered server costs, production costs, and various advertisement/PR costs; Sony and Sony money had little to no hand in the development costs.

also the fact that literally no planet has any semblance of uniqueness
I beg to differ. I've warped several times(I'm on my sixth system) and I've gotten unique planets each time. The only duplicated biomes I've found were shared between a planet and it's moon.

I think more variety in surface structures would be cool, though. The same dozen or so monoliths/ruins/tech labs do get repetitive(although just adding variants of the structures would resolve this for me).
In response to Ter13
If you actually followed its developement progress and knew everything about everything. Multiple times Sean said do not expect Multiplayer, also do not expect everything to be in the game at launch. He also stated that over time updates will be made adding more and more features including a No man's sky Online which indeed will be multiplayer. Look at it like a MMORPG where they will keep adding expansions, new features, etc. Thats the way they are going to make No man's sky.

I'm 60 hours in and Im still seen shit I've never seen before, and im enjoying the hell out of this game. This is the type of Game I always wanted in terms of Planetary exploration, and I can't wait for what they have in store in terms of updates.
In response to Kumorii
For me, it comes down to the fact that I would be paying $60 for a game with less unique content than the average early access title. I don't doubt that people enjoy it, but people definitely did not get what they were promised.
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
For me, it comes down to the fact that I would be paying $60 for a game with less unique content than the average early access title. I don't doubt that people enjoy it, but people definitely did not get what they were promised.

I think too many people are in a fuss and mistaking what they expected for what they were "promised", but different strokes for different folks, i suppose.
Literally nothing about Spore looked remotely "fun". I never understood why people got so hyped for it.

Designing a culture from the bottom up and helping them spread to the stars as a sort of pocket galaxy simulation? What wasn't to love? I like community generated content. The real problem with Spore that I found was that I spent a lot of time curating my integrated content so that my enemy civs wouldn't be entirely made of kindergarten kronenberg penises. That and my "Terraform the Galaxy" project became impossible because of bad design.

I understand where you're coming from but I think you, like hundreds of others, had the wrong image in your head of what the multiplayer aspect was supposed to be like with this game.

I'd totally agree with that if it weren't for the developers answering the question: "Will multiple players be able to collaborate and cooperate together?" with "Yes". If I had the wrong idea in my head, sorry it's not my fault. I remember you asking me if I was hyped for NMS and I said: "Well, no. I'm actively trying to not read anything about it because I don't want to be let down." Despite the fact that I didn't read really anything about it, I still managed to be disappointed about how the multiplayer aspect was silently ignored. I was even more annoyed to find that the vast majority of the playerbase was insisting that multiplayer was in the game, but nobody had managed to sync up yet. The developers really should have clarified. This is a bigger issue than people overhyping themselves. This is an issue of developers knowingly deceiving people, realizing the hype train was too big and being afraid to come clean about what happened.

They overpromised and underdelivered. I didn't even read they hype articles and videos the industry was shoveling out at the time and I still feel lied to --You have to admit, that's a massive problem.

Also, if you look at that reddit post I linked to, that user actually discovered footage they had been using to advertise the game that showcases gameplay that isn't included in the release as late as a month ago. That's a really big problem. Especially when you discover that some of that footage includes features that were removed from the game almost a year ago.
I loved a sprayturd once. Although it was more like a silver nugget sprayed with gold.

The year was 1993. Stop snickering. Sierra released an ambitious new game called Outpost, a detailed space colony sim in which you built a new home on an unforgiving planet. It had serious material demands, complex research trees, and a need to keep your citizens happy, fed, and most of all alive. And it was turn-based, which I adored.

The game promised that trade with the rebel colony would be possible. It promised that once you researched the monorail you could get it running, and that you'd be able to build new spacecraft once your research hit the right point. You would eventually be able to turn micromanagement over to an AI. It promised terraforming, and trade with aliens in a future expansion.

Many of those features were missing from the initial release, because the game had to be rushed out. Over the course of about a year, Sierra released patches that dealt with some, but not all, of the missing content. They never really got to the place they wanted to be, even after the patches. They never released their planned expansions.

In spite of everything, I loved that sprayturd. But it delivered significantly in other ways, and its promises, while grandiose, weren't hyped to death. This was before a generation of disappointing $60 console games, and before returning games was no longer an option.

They released a sequel eventually, but it was realtime and RTS has never been my speed. The sequel didn't suffer quite the same promise-the-moon problems, but I never played it. And for an embarrassing amount of time now, I've wanted to play a game like Outpost as it was meant to be.
Outpost let me down too, buddy, but I still loved it. Sierra was good at doing that.
Sierra made good games.
Page: 1 2 3