ID:2131695

BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 47.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary: The game Sigrogana Legend 2 has been having issues lately where doing numerous things, such as attempting to load your character list, will crash Dream Seeker. Many people have been having this issue, so it's very likely not isolated to just myself.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Log into the game Sigrogana Legend 2.
2. Click the center of the screen to progress to the character select menu.
2. If you happened to have a character made, you may or may not crash as soon as the character select menu appears in the bottom left. If you crash, you're done, if you don't, proceed to step 3.
4. Load a character.
3. Open your Talent menu, which is the red square in the upper right. You may or may not crash, if you don't, proceed to step 4.
4. Open your Class Board, which is the tan rectangle in the upper right. You may or may not crash, if you don't, proceed to step 5.
5. Acquire a Laplacenet card, which is done by first getting out of the tutorial, spawning in the south of the starter area, then heading into the upper left corner of that map and entering the ASAGO building, THEN talking to the NPC Matsuri and selecting the 'laplacenet' dialogue option and going from there.
6. If you already had one or finished step 5, try to open the laplacenet with the button in the upper right. This is the last thing that can potentially crash you.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? It occurs at random. People have been unlucky with the character select screen crashing them upwards of 14 times in a row, while some manage to get past it in a single try.
In other games? Not that I'm aware of.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur? When it feels like it, as said before, it's utterly random when selecting one of these things will crash you, but odds are if you cycle through all of them you'll inevitably get crashed by one.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? No.
Workarounds:

This sounds like it's 100% an issue with the game itself, not BYOND.

P.S. When you're experiencing crashes and whatnot in specific games, it's best if you file a bug report to the game's dev. From then on, they'll take a look at their code to see if it's something wrong on their end(very likely), or if it's on BYOND's. If it's the latter, they will file a more detailed report. Lummox can't do anything by just logging into a live server.
If DS itself is crashing, there's something wrong with BYOND.

There's likely something wrong with the game ultimately causing it, but there's something wrong with BYOND's handling of the game doing that wrong thing too.

Likely this should go to the game's developer to figure out what the game is doing that causes DS to crash, then the developer should report that here to Lummox to figure out why that makes DS crash.
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
This sounds like it's 100% an issue with the game itself, not BYOND.

P.S. When you're experiencing crashes and whatnot in specific games, it's best if you file a bug report to the game's dev. From then on, they'll take a look at their code to see if it's something wrong on their end(very likely), or if it's on BYOND's. If it's the latter, they will file a more detailed report. Lummox can't do anything by just logging into a live server.

Not sure how you could come to the conclusion that DS crashing when connecting to a remote server is a game issue. I also told him to post this here, although he didn't include any event logs, so I'll go ahead and do that.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-15T01:35:12.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>26983</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Computer</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>dreamseeker.exe</Data>
<Data>5.0.510.1347</Data>
<Data>5764530a</Data>
<Data>byondcore.dll</Data>
<Data>57645225</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>0005ac39</Data>
<Data>ca8</Data>
<Data>01d1f6953d1363b6</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreamseeker.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\byondcore.dll</Data>
<Data>818f6da6-6288-11e6-829a-3010b37e962a</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

And a second one;

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-15T01:21:06.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>26981</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Computer</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>dreamseeker.exe</Data>
<Data>5764530a</Data>
<Data>byondcore.dll</Data>
<Data>57645225</Data>
<Data>c000041d</Data>
<Data>0005ac39</Data>
<Data>3354</Data>
<Data>01d1f6933d99cb95</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreamseeker.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\byondcore.dll</Data>
<Data>89d7dbc3-6286-11e6-829a-3010b37e962a</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

---

I'll try and provide more details if you need them Lummox.
The crash is occurring in ColorMatrixCopy(), but without a stack trace I don't really have enough to go on. It's likely this is a bug that I would need a test case (i.e., source) to catch in action.
Not sure if I can get a source to you to help replicate it since it's not something I can really reproduce reliably (although it happens a lot on the server, I can't recall having the issue when working and testing locally). I'll see what I can do, though.

What I can tell you in the mean time is that pretty much all of these crash instances occur when a secondary map control is displayed, and they all have screen objects shown in them. I'm not sure if that's helpful or not, but there you go.