ID:2132697

I don't even know where to start.

My name is Jeremy, I used to be really in to Byond when I was a teenager. Back then we all used to wonder what the JR stood for in Lummox JR, and I don't if it has ever been revealed, but I do see that the ownership of Byond has passed on to him. Congratulations!

It really saddens me to see that the same doom and gloom about finances still plagues Byond just like it did back then! I've never come across a more wonderful tool for realizing an idea. Thats just what I want to do right now, is realize an idea. My younger brother has reached an age where we can collaborate on a project in an adult-like fashion, and we have something we desire to create for a semi-commercial application.

That being said, I am wondering if Byond is on the cusp of shutting down? It would be very discouraging to develop something and then have the plug pulled as it were. I see some promising things from the little bit of digging I have done, mostly about Silk Games and their integration in to Steam.

I apologize for the stream of consciousness first post! I have a few questions that I can't seem to find a concrete answer on by forum searching or google.

1. Is it still possible to make a standalone executable of a created game? The last entry I can find about it is a few years old, and I cannot find a downloadable compiler for doing that.

2. Is full screen possible? When I last used Byond this was in early stages of development if I remember correctly.

3. How well does Byond handle exporting and importing data through lets say, text files, to keep it simple. What I am looking to develop is actually three programs, one being the game in Byond, another being a bot integrated with Twitch.tv API (standalone not created using DM), and the third being a website that takes data from the end user and exports it to be read by the previous two programs.

Thanks and hello again! Its been awhile!
No replies in almost three days :(
I am hurt!
The answer is Yes to all 3.
Welcome back to BYOND. :)
1. Yes. You would need to reach out to Lummox to get a special hub code thing to actually use it though. Its called BYONDexe.

2. Yes.

3. You can easily read and write to text files.
Wonderful! It seems like what I want to do should be possible then, but how did the old message of the week go? Announcing something early gives it a 100% chance of not being completed? Lol...

I've spent the last two days teaching a friend of mine who has never programmed in any language before. We have been using the your first world tutorial, and adding features that he thinks of. It's been educational for him and a nice reintroduction to DM for me!

I've taken a week off work starting on the 23rd to intensively relearn DM, so I'm hoping to complete a small practice game or two in that time, maybe you'll see something from me :)
For text file import/export, you now have the option of using JSON as a format too.
I didnt even know that format existed, I will have to look in to this!