ID:2134582

Another early-edition development news post today. Yesterday I released the 511.1353 beta, and it appears Windows Defender is having some early issues with it. Defender users, please report the false positive to Microsoft.

While a couple of items are outstanding for the webclient (pixel gliding, the Any macro, and gamepad support), today I'm also looking into other things that were on my later-list for 511. I'm looking at libcurl and seeing if I can begin to make heads or tails of it, in the hopes that SSL-enabled downloads can be a thing and maybe severs can even support SSL themselves (especially for webclient purposes). Right now I'm still not sure about any of it; I can't begin to stress how much I hate trying to figure out someone else's library and determine how to include it into an existing project--especially one as big as BYOND. Some of the primary goals here obviously have to be that any blocking routines are kept to a minimum, and that existing networking code doesn't get screwed up. This is going to take a while to sort through, but the good news is I'm finally looking at it.

Doing more with splash screens is on my radar too, mostly for the webclient, where the frontend features have needed a face lift for a while. I'd like to have a nicer frontend experience in general there. And on a related webclient topic, I think I should revisit the hotbar control so it's easier for games to hide it if they want, and to interact with its toggle functionality via winset/winget.

Webclient parity and other issues aside, I think the next few releases will be focused a little more on older bug fixes and maybe dealing with some compiler quirks. I have a list to go through, and it's time to give that list more attention.

It's also time for fried foods! The highlight (and traditionally, end) of the summer starts this week here in my hometown, and that means a lot of unhealthy Fair food, stocking up on snacks for football season, and of course getting suckered by a sneaky sales pitch or two. All this means fall is coming, and fall is my favorite BYOND season of all. Get ready to cozy up and play some of your favorite games, and while you're at it, make more! And as ever, my thanks go out to those who have donated to BYOND or supported the platform by becoming Members; you guys are awesome.
Yes, Lummox. Give the webclient some much needed love!