ID:2135119

I havn't been on here since 2010 I think, and I was thinking about rejoining. I mentioned it to a friend, and he just sent me this.

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/BYOND

I feel like if this is the case, and there's really no new games coming out, if it'd still be worth it. I went looking through the games section and could only find 2 or 3 that I remember from a while ago,and only NEStalgia is something new that isnt finished yet.

I reached out to the Byond developers quite a bit, trying to figure out if we could update the engine and possibly rewrite the language, because after going to college for computer science, it was easy to see it's flaws.

So other then just a select few die-hards, and not too much fresh blood coming in user or game wise, is the whole byond thing dead?
Yes its dead, cya
It's only as dead as you want it to be. NEStalgia has made a few hundred thousand dollars since it was added to steam, epoch has made 20k or so since may I believe.

If you have the skills to do it, DM is pretty powerful when it comes to rapid game development. I just started programming in DM again after 10 years myself, and in one evening I have a fullscreen game with pixel based movement. That alone would not be possible for me to do in another language in anything less than a week. DM saves me from have to program so much annoying stuff, collision delection being a great example.

TL;DR: make a game don't listen to your friend, and get it put on steam for that $$$
In response to IronAnathemA
IronAnathemA wrote:
It's only as dead as you want it to be. NEStalgia has made a few hundred thousand dollars since it was added to steam, epoch has made 20k or so since may I believe.

If you have the skills to do it, DM is pretty powerful when it comes to rapid game development. I just started programming in DM again after 10 years myself, and in one evening I have a fullscreen game with pixel based movement. That alone would not be possible for me to do in another language in anything less than a week. DM saves me from have to program so much annoying stuff, collision delection being a great example.

TL;DR: make a game don't listen to your friend, and get it put on steam for that $$$

^^^^ this
-----------
not dead just no good games to play so how about you come make your dream game and bring life back :)
In response to Ganite
Yeah, but why hasnt anyone else made there dream game on here and brought back life back on here? Also, you can port byond programmed games right onto steam?
You can't but lunmox can
making a game is easy finishing one isnt
Taking ED as a reliable source is like using the Onion as a medical reference.
That ED article was mostly written by a few tardboxes that got permabanned from the site for being outcasts even among our outcast community. You know the kids that nobody wants to sit next to at lunch because they smell and talk in klingon? That's us. Let's just say that the kids who wrote the ED article make us look like prom kings.

So other then just a select few die-hards, and not too much fresh blood coming in user or game wise, is the whole byond thing dead?

People been saying that BYOND is dying since I've been here. I've been here since 2001 and we're still hobbling along.

I reached out to the Byond developers quite a bit, trying to figure out if we could update the engine and possibly rewrite the language, because after going to college for computer science, it was easy to see it's flaws.

If you are looking for a perfect engine to write a game in, you aren't going to find it. "The best" is a huge stumbling block that a lot of people get trapped in for decades without ever making a game.

Basically, the point is that you shouldn't worry about what you can't do in the engine. If the engine can't handle what you are setting out to do, save the idea for later and scale your idea down a bit. Frankly, most of the time if you are hitting engine limitations and don't already have a polished, populated game/community, you are also probably never going to finish the project because you are biting off more than you can chew --so instead of meticulously worrying about what the engine can handle, dive in, get your hands dirty, and have some fun making something.

I'm a serial limit-pusher. If anybody knows the limitations of the engine, I'm in the short list. Yet I'm still drawn to the engine and tinker with it after all this time.
That ED article could be so much better. They left out so much BYONDrama that provided me with hours with of laughter over the years. There's no mention of the Nexus. Also the membership benefits part needs to be updated, along with celebrities.

I mean come on guys. Make it better.
Make ED great again.
When do you think byond will die?

When byond will have full of anime ripps ? No!
When byond will ban all those anime rips ? No!
When someone of us create crappy game ? No !

Byond will die when no one will be on forum saying byond is dying and people will eventually forget about it
I've released quite a few games, and 90% of my income comes from my games. Worrying about the engine and its limitations are very important when making games, instead of wasting so much time. Why aren't they updating the engine and evolving it's codebase?
In response to Trickytyfly
they are you should go read the BYOND Announcement section it'll be easier then just asking around Lummox makes post about what he is doing to make BYOND better all the time.
I've released quite a few games, and 90% of my income comes from my games. Worrying about the engine and its limitations are very important when making games, instead of wasting so much time. Why aren't they updating the engine and evolving it's codebase?

Mmmmmhmmm...

I agree. Show us screenshots of your PayPal balance or it never happened.

inb4 photoshop
In response to EmpirezTeam
By income I think he means pocket money
In response to Trickytyfly
Trickytyfly wrote:

Well I mean, Lummox is constantly working on updates. Which makes me think you did little to no research at all.. If you're that concerned about engines there are quite a lot of others you can choose from.
In response to Mickemoose
Mickemoose wrote:
Trickytyfly wrote:

Well I mean, Lummox is constantly working on updates. Which makes me think you did little to no research at all.. If you're that concerned about engines there are quite a lot of others you can choose from.

I made a first person shooter using BYOND in 36 hours.

It is EXTREMELY difficult to take discussions of its limits seriously from the vast majority of people who wade into off topic knowing very little about the engine or programming in general.

Limits can be overcome. BYOND isn't the best engine out there in a lot of categories, but ease of use wise, it is certainly up there.
BYOND is like a box of chocolates.

If you expect anything outside of chocolates to be in the box upon opening it, you're gonna have a hard time.
Page: 1 2