ID:21353

Keywords: software
(Windows update) (notes) (Unix versions)

Version 351.910 is the seventh beta of BYOND 3.5. This version fixes the recent world.realtime bug and significantly improves the reliability of world status reporting to the hub. For these reasons, all users are strongly encouraged to upgrade. Many games now may not work properly in all older versions of BYOND due to problems with world.realtime.

Also added to this version is the new variable world.internet_address. Because most game hosts are behind firewalls or broadband routers, this variable allows worlds to see their true network address that is visible from the internet.

See the notes for a full list of changes. Please post thorough bug reports in the Bug Reports forum, and general discussion in the comments for this post.
sweet
thanks
yay
:)
god, that little bubble telling me friends log on better not be there. =(
Does that internet address mean people can host without doing that port forwarding annoyance?
No, it just means we don't have to use some external script to find out our external IP. :D
Kunark wrote:
Does that internet address mean people can host without doing that port forwarding annoyance?

Can't wait for the day that happens.
Basik wrote:
Kunark wrote:

Can't wait for the day that happens.

I don't think it -can- happen. Just think of the logic behind port forwarding. If you have a router, it's probably because there's more than one computer on the network. When people are trying to access the game, how does the router know where to direct to? By port forwarding! You have to tell the router where to direct people.

I never really understood the trouble behind port forwarding. I mean, it does differ from router to router, but especially with portforward.com support for BYOND, it should be easy!

It's pretty goddamn hard. There's usually like a billion instructions and it never works. =P
Elation wrote:
It's pretty goddamn hard. There's usually like a billion instructions and it never works. =P

The last router that I tried to set up portforwarding for, all of the instructions had skipped the fact that you had to bind the internal IP you wish to forward to to your MAC Address.
Try using an ISP designed rip off of the DSL-302g router behind NAT.

Hell I tell you, hell!
It'd be nice if BYOND got UPnP support. Many of the routers out today now support it for port forwarding.
Yay Upgrades...but boo because 4.0 isnt out yet. Boo.
Well, it's one more beta down!
Worldweaver wrote:
Well, it's one more beta down!

Now only an infinite amount more to go. =/
Port forwarding can be easy or difficult depending on the router you're using. So far LinkSys, NetGear, and D-Link routers have pretty good forwarding interfaces. Easy enough to do.
Is the update worth it?
AZA wrote:
Is the update worth it?

Beta 8 is imminent, so probably not.