ID:2135746

Hello Byond!

On Monday, I made this post: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2132697

On Thursday, I began programming my first game in 10 or so years.

Today, I have a playable demo that looks pretty slick for two days of work, if I do say so myself. Please try very hard to break anything you can in this game! I would love any bug reports or feedback! Keep in mind you cannot use the space bar or "z" button as intended yet, for now you can just push around the boulder in the first level and use it to toggle switches.

I worked very hard on the pixel movement and collision, if you find any clipping or errors please let me know!

Link: Escape From.. (Demo)

Thank you very much!
Well, I'm clicking download and nothing happens.

~ Try take out the extra dots in the zip name. Currently called name...zip it's probably messing up.
Looks like your hub download is broken because the hub path includes those periods at the end. You should just remove those from the hub path. You can keep them in the title, of course.

Until then, anyone can still download the game using the Zip link.

I can't figure out how to get past the third screen... The boulder lets me pass the second screen, and I found the switch behind the tree, but there seems to be nothing else I can use.

I don't like how the movement animation gives the panda a forward-offset.
@Zecronious
I fixed the Hub entry, sorry about that I had forgotten how it worked!

@Kaiochao
Thats because you intentionally cant get past the third screen, I havent made any more yet haha. I was posting this more to get feed back on the physics of it, etc. If people can glitch out of the map or anything.
I did put the movement animation back to how it was before, try it again and see if that looks a little better.

Thats all I can do in the 20 minutes before work, thanks guys!
In response to IronAnathemA
It all works, only annoying thing is when the game tells you 'press z to jump' and you're running around pressing z like wtf why won't this do anything?
I said in my first post that it was not included in the game yet, but I am working on it as I write this. Thanks for the feedback :)
Yeah TL:DR
Hi everyone!

If you would be so kind, please check out the demo another time! As of today I have added the ability to jump, so you can pass the fourth level, along with a slew of sound effects and bug fixes.

I think I have everything working as I intend right now, but please prove me wrong and try to break it.

EDIT: Also added a menu for sound options and fast restarting
Thanks! <3
I tried to host a server to surpass the last level, but it disconnected any second player e.e

Nice design. Keep it up.
In response to Konlet
Konlet wrote:
I tried to host a server to surpass the last level, but it disconnected any second player e.e

Nice design. Keep it up.

I am glad you tried that! I was having some trouble joining my own hosted world with a second user, so I didn't know if I had blocked it correctly or if I was just dumb :)

The game looks a lot worse when youre connecting remotely anyways, it looks much smoother as a single player game, not laggy
Definitely a good start. :) One minor thing: When you pass through a 'door' to the next level, it feels odd that your position changes to the bottom of the door. I would either keep your position the same as when you entered the door, or at least center it. Pretty sure I managed to get through stage 4 without jumping. Couldn't do anything but push a bunch of rocks in the water on the next stage though.

Keep at it :)
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Definitely a good start. :) One minor thing: When you pass through a 'door' to the next level, it feels odd that your position changes to the bottom of the door. I would either keep your position the same as when you entered the door, or at least center it. Pretty sure I managed to get through stage 4 without jumping. Couldn't do anything but push a bunch of rocks in the water on the next stage though.

Keep at it :)

Thanks for the idea! I didn't know step_x and step_y existed until you made me look for something to fix that clunky movement. I will hopefully be posting a new version tonight/tomorrow with a bunch more art assets and update levels.
Hello again everyone,

I put some new screenshots in the main post, please try out the game again! I desperately need people to attempt to break it, I think i've hammered out all the bugs right now but prove me wrong!

Added 8/24/16:
- Added a lot of new art assets, and a few new sounds
- Cleaned up the way the map is displayed, made tiles for cohesive where possible
- Truckload of bug fixes, if anyone can still break or bug out the menu please tell me how you did it
Good news everyone!

You can now get killed by some monkeys!
Today I added enemies and checkpoint based pathfinding, if you have a moment, please go test it out and try to break it!

EDIT: I also spent about three hours longer than I wanted to in fixing the respawning stuff. Now, no matter what combination of rocks you but in the spawn location of other rocks, everything should reset to normal