ID:2136290

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
The amount of things you can do with the Interface Designing program incorporated within Dream Maker is limited. For example, If I want to change the icon or appearance of an "output" or "input" it's not allowed. Another example would be if I wanted to change the window that pops up when you right click someone in a game, I can not do that because again that is another thing you can not do with the Interface Designing Program for BYOND. I just think there should be more options to the Interface Designing program for Dream Maker. Which will potentially open a way for people who have a keen eyes for good Interface. Making it another opportunity for people build and help design a game. This will also improve the quality of BYOND games. Interfacing is another reason why BYOND games look like BYOND games no offense, but as we all know BYOND is about creating something great and something new so why not give BYOND Developers all the possible opportunities they can have!
This isn't really a specific request; I can't do anything with something so open-ended. It sounds like you're asking for more features to be available in the skin controls, though again that should be broken up into specific requests for specific features.

The webclient of course is a great deal more extensible, as DS is limited by whatever is built in whereas the webclient can be given custom controls, and there's a lot more room for styling via CSS.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
This isn't really a specific request; I can't do anything with something so open-ended. It sounds like you're asking for more features to be available in the skin controls, though again that should be broken up into specific requests for specific features.

The webclient of course is a great deal more extensible, as DS is limited by whatever is built in whereas the webclient can be given custom controls, and there's a lot more room for styling via CSS.

Well let me make a more specific Request for now, one that I would like to see happen, can you make the option of customizing the Right-Click window with Pixel Art?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

I noticed when you made your comment, that webclient is a little more lenient with things like Interface, though this may be true I'm not shooting for a webclient based game. I want to make something using Dream Seeker.
Customizing the right-click menu on that kind of level really isn't in the cards. You'd be better off intercepting right-clicks and doing your own interface for that.
Is there a way to get the appearance information that right click uses to decide what items to show in the right click menu? For example when I pixel shift something onto a different tile, right clicking on its loc will do nothing, but right clicking on the pixel shifted object works.

If that information could be exposed I think doing our own right click menus would actually become feasible, and in many cases a much preferred option.
In response to Clusterfack
in the /tg/ codebase I wrote a proc get_turf_pixel(), which finds the turf that the atom *appears* to be (pixel shifts, matrix translations, all accounted for), as opposed to it's real physical turf, I don't think you guys at /vg/ have this proc but I think it'd be a close enough estimate for custom right-click.

iirc I wrote it back when /tg/ was GPL so it should be fine if you want to experiment with it (and if it's AGPL I don't -really- mind re-licensing for you)
Well the problem with that is that it is an inversion of the problem. I know we could find where any particular atom appears to be, but we want to find any atom that appears somewhere specific.

But besides making a huge system for tracking where things appear, if I want to know what atoms have an appearance over the tile I'm clicking it's relatively difficult/impossible. And Byond already does this natively, so exposing it would be a godsend.

I consider this the primary reason no ss13 codebase makes custom right click menus.
Oh I see what you mean yeah.
Locs doesn't work with pixel shifting via pixel_x and pixel_y, only step_x and step_y.
In response to Clusterfack
Clusterfack wrote:
Is there a way to get the appearance information that right click uses to decide what items to show in the right click menu? For example when I pixel shift something onto a different tile, right clicking on its loc will do nothing, but right clicking on the pixel shifted object works.

If that information could be exposed I think doing our own right click menus would actually become feasible, and in many cases a much preferred option.

+1
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Customizing the right-click menu on that kind of level really isn't in the cards. You'd be better off intercepting right-clicks and doing your own interface for that.

Alright, thanks for the help.