ID:2136441

so im curious whats the downside of using a png as the map and using areas for density opacity ect, i know placing the map tile by tile is the absolute best way im just curious what would be the downside of doing it with a png? ( personally i hate the way byonds mapmaker works its tree style make it harder for me i love how tiled works with previews of your entire tile set at once over tree style
well if u got trees or buildings you wont be able to walk behind them
i know Tiled saves as .js , .json and, .tmx i wonder how hard it would to make a converter from these formats to dmm
Large png files cause ds to freeze when they are first displayed.
I wonder if the freeze is from the unpacking, or from the subsequent housekeeping that's done to put the icon in a usable format.
subsequent housekeeping that's done to put the icon in a usable format.

Pretty sure there's some kind of algorithm that occurs that iterates over every pixel of an icon to figure out which are clickable and which aren't. That's probably the culprit.

These days, this kind of thing could be done with a threaded background loader, essentially allowing wrong values to occur/be rendered while the existing image is loaded in the background. This would cause some pop-in though.

BYOND makes resource management fairly easy, but also completely a black box.