ID:2139151

Needless to say, this has been a pretty huge change for me. I always thought that it would be nice to be able to use Linux as a primary OS, and after years of curiosity, I've finally done just that.

There's a few things that I miss, mostly being able to run half of my Steam library (which can be done with Wine, but not guaranteed to be successful). Linux ports of certain games that support it can behave differently than their windows counterparts.

From a development standpoint, it has opened lots of doors. Linux was engineered to be programmer-friendly and Ubuntu 16.04 (what I'm using) comes with the GNU compilers (gcc, g++, etc) built into it. It feels like I've been given more tools to work with for free, and development is encouraged on this platform.

The environment is gorgeous. Although this front-end is really just an interface for the terminal and everything shell-related, it's flexible. IRC is running in a terminal window to the right, just because I can, and it's great.

I've currently looked into programming languages like Python, Lua, C, and JS to see if I can make applications that are cross-compatible with Windows and Linux because I feel that it's important to make software that works on both mediums (I probably couldn't care less about Mac).

Good news for you is I'm already planning to build a working Linux build of ClassicVCom HD (already planned to be cross-platform).

I can either try building it directly on Windows 10 using Bash from the provided recent addition of Ubuntu's Subsystem or use a virtual machine.

I might need to add some compatibility layers (source code wise) since some of the code didn't want to compile right under Emscripten for the HTML5. All I need to do is add a check for POSIX to make it work.
I probably couldn't care less about Mac

No one does, outside of music producers who don't know anything about computers - and 99% of which have an unsuccessful music career.