ID:2141220

Not a bug
BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro
Web Browser:Chrome 52.0.2743.116
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Some macros seem to be ignoring firing requests.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
http://files.byondhome.com/Reformist/Firing%20Issues_src.zip

Demo Controls:
Arrow keys to move (8 directional)
Hold H to drop balls

This demo was set up showing 2 firing issues.

The first issue is that holding east and west results in being able to move south but not north. If debug text is placed in KeyDir() it shows that north is never even fired when this happens. This results in cases where east/north/west are all pressed (in that order) and the mob moves northeast, where east/west should be canceling each other. The oddities with this all seem to be around the north and west keys. As a note to Lummox, both this issue and the issue below happen with the movement code I sent you as well as this bitflag version you sent me.

The second issue involves a second macro being fired at the same time. If you hold H to drop balls you become unable to move northwest at all.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
see demo above

Expected Results:
Macros always fire when activated.

Actual Results:
Some macros not being fired at all.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

I don't know when this became an issue, but I downgraded from the 511 beta to the current stable build (510.1347) and it still happens.

Workarounds:
None I know of.
I'll take a look at this, but it may not be a bug. Certain key combinations don't work on most keyboards. If I can't reproduce it, that's a pretty good sign that it's a non-bug because I use a gaming keyboard designed for more simultaneous presses.
I can't reproduce this on the test project given. All four of my arrow keys fire independently; pressing any opposite two simultaneously causes no movement on that direction, while retaining free movement on the other. Holding H to drop balls does not change this behavior.

I'm not able to fully test 8-directional movement as my keyboard lacks a true numpad, but I suspect the same would be true.

I believe Lummox is correct in saying it's a keyboard issue, not a BYOND one.
In response to GinjaNinja32
GinjaNinja32 wrote:
I'm not able to fully test 8-directional movement as my keyboard lacks a true numpad, but I suspect the same would be true.

The movement wouldn't work on a number-pad anyway. It uses cardinal key combinations for diagonal movement. For example, holding the up and right arrow keys moves you northeast.

However, I do agree this is most likely due to my keyboard.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
I confirmed that this is unverifiable on my system. I'm certain this is a keyboard issue, so I'll close it.

You might consider setting up macros for the modifier keys (Shift, Control, Alt) instead, which behave much better in combination with other keys.