ID:2141405

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
An ability to know the time length of a sound file would make it much easier to work around sound ques and for fade in/fade out effects for background music. It could be useful for a lot of things regarding sound.
I definitely agree it would be nice, but for sound queues, if you stack a bunch of sounds on the same channel with 'wait' set to 1, it'll play them in order.

As long as you're not asking to be able to tell where the client's current position in the song is, and just the outright length of the song this should be feasible, but the knowing where the client is, unfortunately, is not.
Tracking where the client is in the sound seems pretty easy if you know when the track began. You can keep track with world.time. if I just had the time length I could take care of everything else. As of now, I would have to manually store track lengths which doesn't sound too bad, but I feel like I shouldn't have to go to that extent.
Tracking where they are would be very approximate, clients don't always play the sound right away (downloading), and client lag can make it fall behind. That's why BYOND can't provide a means of tracking it directly, as the client never tells the server where they are.

Using the wait variable is your best bet right now.